+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing Program of Study

AngieYY

Apr 11, 2023
Hello, I know this question has been asked many times, but I still don't know what the correct answer is. That is if I change my program of study, do I have to inform IRCC? Some were saying do have to, but others saying don't. I did ask my agent who assisted me in getting the SP. Their answer was "that is not important". I noticed that the Field of Study is printed on my SP. I changed my field from Computer/IT to Business Administration within the same institution. I understand that I am allowed to switch programs as soon as within the same institution and not violate the condition. So, is the Field of Study part of the condition? It is not printed under the condition section on my SP. Please, can anyone help me to clarify this?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello, I know this question has been asked many times, but I still don't know what the correct answer is. That is if I change my program of study, do I have to inform IRCC? Some were saying do have to, but others saying don't. I did ask my agent who assisted me in getting the SP. Their answer was "that is not important". I noticed that the Field of Study is printed on my SP. I changed my field from Computer/IT to Business Administration within the same institution. I understand that I am allowed to switch programs as soon as within the same institution and not violate the condition. So, is the Field of Study part of the condition? It is not printed under the condition section on my SP. Please, can anyone help me to clarify this?
Are you changing DLIs or just the program at your school?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Oh.... Will this affect my application for PR?
It could for various reasons. First a college business degree rarely leads to a career path. There is no need for international students with college business degrees. There are changes happening to the whole international student system which could include access to WPs and qualifying for PR. If your goal is to remain in Canada longterm study a skill that Canada needs for example nursing but also some other healthcare professions, skilled trades, tech, etc. or do a masters degree. Also go to a reputable public school. It may make more sense to study in your home country and then try to immigrate. The days of all international students getting PR are over.

AngieYY

Apr 11, 2023
It could for various reasons. First a college business degree rarely leads to a career path. There is no need for international students with college business degrees. There are changes happening to the whole international student system which could include access to WPs and qualifying for PR. If your goal is to remain in Canada longterm study a skill that Canada needs for example nursing but also some other healthcare professions, skilled trades, tech, etc. or do a masters degree. Also go to a reputable public school. It may make more sense to study in your home country and then try to immigrate. The days of all international students getting PR are over.
That is what I am worrying, but IT is really not my cup of tea... :(