+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing my status from student to worker or visitor

Certified

Jul 16, 2024
I have a 4 year study permit in windsor September 2023 but I want to change my school to another province where my uncle stays so it can be easy for me to study, i did one semester in Windsor and I didn’t work throughout the semester, after am done with my exams in December 2023 I start to apply for schools but winter and summer 2024 is closed I can only apply for Fall September 2024

Which I got admitted to but I will be exceeding the 150 days rule so I went to my school and also called the immigration about my situation I was asked to change my status from student to visitor or worker, but I applied for open work permit in march so I can get a response before the 150 days deadline but was refused in may 2024 because I didn’t have a LMIA which I think i didn’t need as a student, now am trying to apply for visitor permit in July but have already passed the 150 days, What can I please do in this situation or an advise because have exceeded the 150 days and want to apply for status change to visitor, I will be resuming in September 2024

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have a 4 year study permit in windsor September 2023 but I want to change my school to another province where my uncle stays so it can be easy for me to study, i did one semester in Windsor and I didn’t work throughout the semester, after am done with my exams in December 2023 I start to apply for schools but winter and summer 2024 is closed I can only apply for Fall September 2024

Which I got admitted to but I will be exceeding the 150 days rule so I went to my school and also called the immigration about my situation I was asked to change my status from student to visitor or worker, but I applied for open work permit in march so I can get a response before the 150 days deadline but was refused in may 2024 because I didn’t have a LMIA which I think i didn’t need as a student, now am trying to apply for visitor permit in July but have already passed the 150 days, What can I please do in this situation or an advise because have exceeded the 150 days and want to apply for status change to visitor, I will be resuming in September 2024
Unfortunately you should never have applied for the open work permit. You didn't qualify for one and it was guaranteed to be refused.

You are out of status in Canada and need to apply to restore your status. I'm also not sure how you plan to obtain a study permit again since you don't qualify to apply for one from within Canada.

You've made a number of mistakes. Suggest you work with a lawyer going forward.

Reactions: CanGoldDigger

Certified

Jul 16, 2024
Unfortunately you should never have applied for the open work permit. You didn't qualify for one and it was guaranteed to be refused.

You are out of status in Canada and need to apply to restore your status. I'm also not sure how you plan to obtain a study permit again since you don't qualify to apply for one from within Canada.

You've made a number of mistakes. Suggest you work with a lawyer going forward.

Certified

Jul 16, 2024
But I still have my study permit will expire in 2027 can I please know how am out of status, can’t I still apply for visitor status before I resume in September

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
But I still have my study permit will expire in 2027 can I please know how am out of status, can’t I still apply for visitor status before I resume in September
At this point you have exceeded the 150 days which means you are not in compliance with the terms of your study permit. I would strongly suggest again that you work with a lawyer since you've made one significant mistake already and want to avoid further errors.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
At this point, you probably don’t even have a study permit. It may have been cancelled. Get a lawyer to sort this out because you are out of status.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Please I don’t understand that can you please explain thanks
You had student visa, and you were supposed to be studying full time. The idea of applying for work permit was a big mistake, that refusal record is on your file and will be seen by any officer processing your future application. Go and live with your uncle, is not good explanation to the Immigration

Certified

Jul 16, 2024
You had student visa, and you were supposed to be studying full time. The idea of applying for work permit was a big mistake, that refusal record is on your file and will be seen by any officer processing your future application. Go and live with your uncle, is not good explanation to the Immigration
I tried my best to maintain the rules i did one semester when I tried to apply for change of school winter/summer admissions was closed I can only apply for Fall which is more than the 150 days so I called the immigration and tell them about my situation they sent me mail that I can change my status to worker or visitor and I make a huge mistake thinking worker is better than visitor and I went ahead to apply for open work permit in march so I can get a response before the 150 days end but the processing time was too long I had to wait till May to get a response, but was the wrong decision am 17 years old can I still apply for visitor status or is there other way around