+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing jobs while waiting for my PR - Is it risky?

prinprogress

Apr 19, 2021
Hi, I applied for my PR in January, as common law with myself as the main applicant and my partner as my dependant. We both applied through CEC. I am reaching burn out stage in my current job and really don't think I can hang on much longer. Our open work permit IEC visas both expire in October so I know it is a possibility we nay need to apply for a bridging visa if we don't hear back regarding our PR application by June/July. My question is, can I leave my current job (where I gained my year's Canadian experience) and work part time / contract hours elsewhere? Is this risky? I know I would need to notify CIC as this constitutes a change in my circumstances and I don't want to do anything to jeopardize my PR application, especially as I am the lead applicant. TIA!

Last edited:

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Thanks - I should have specified I'm on an open work permit (not LMIA) and so is my boyfriend.
You are good. You are not expected to remain in the same position while your application is processed.

The only case would be if you had claimed 50 points for arranged employment with that same employer.

You don't even need to br employed. This does not change your eligibility nor does it decrease your CRS so informing IRCC would not even be necessary. Don't worry and leave that awful job if you wish.