15-10-2013
AOR Received.
24-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
27-06-2014
LANDED..........
08-07-2014
Dear forum-members,

My friend is working in Canada under the International Experience Canada (IEC) program (category Young Professionals) and her work permit is specific to one employer.

She has another 8 month on that work permit but her employer just told her that they will close the business all of February and March 2020 but expect her to work for them again starting April 1st. She would not get paid for these two month and because of the type of work permit can’t work for another company either.

We found following link to extend or change a work permit:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/iec/extend-change.html

A few questions came up:
  • We are wondering if anybody on here has experience with changing employers on that type of work permit?
  • Is the 2 month closing of the business a legit reason to get the employer changed on that work permit?
  • She doesn’t have a job offer from a new employer yet (she was just told about the situation a couple of days ago). If she gets a job offer, how long is the process to get the employer changed on her work permit?
She was already working in Canada under the Working Holiday visa before she got her current work permit. (That path unfortunately doesn’t work.)

I read through all forum posts that I could find about this topic but nobody didn’t find any answers to these questions.

Any inputs and suggestions are greatly appreciated, thank you very much in advance for your help!
tr001