+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change to "relative in Canada" post-ITA

atworldsend

Jan 6, 2017
Hello everyone,

I received an ITA in December's last draw and, as I'm filling out the application, I realized I made an error in my Express Entry profile. In the EE profile mentioned I have an aunt who is a permanent citizen of Canada, when this person is in fact a first cousin to my mother (their respective fathers are siblings), so not technically an aunt according to the legal definition.

This will of course lower my FSW score by 10 points, but it still stays above 67, and will have no impact on the CRS score whatsoever.

In this context, should I go on with my current application, make the necessary corrections post-ITA, and add a LOE explaining my error? Or are more drastic measures (like declining the ITA) necessary? (hoping not...)

Thanks!

rafzy

Champion Member
Jan 31, 2015
atworldsend said:
Hello everyone,

I received an ITA in December's last draw and, as I'm filling out the application, I realized I made an error in my Express Entry profile. In the EE profile mentioned I have an aunt who is a permanent citizen of Canada, when this person is in fact a first cousin to my mother (their respective fathers are siblings), so not technically an aunt according to the legal definition.

This will of course lower my FSW score by 10 points, but it still stays above 67, and will have no impact on the CRS score whatsoever.

In this context, should I go on with my current application, make the necessary corrections post-ITA, and add a LOE explaining my error? Or are more drastic measures (like declining the ITA) necessary? (hoping not...)

Thanks!
Feel free to change it to NO and add an LOE.

It is perfectly acceptable.

shahankhan

Oct 10, 2016
Hello Rafzy,

I am kind of in a similar situation. I declared pre ITA that I have an Uncle in Canada who is a citizen. However, I just found he became a citizen through asylum many years ago and has declared he has no siblings in Pakistan. Should I go ahead with the application and submit the necessary documents to prove relationship?
Removing this will obviously reduce 5 points of adaptability in FSW but my points without adaptability stand at 69. No change in CRS. Would there be any complications after making profile change Post ITA? Once I remove it will the area where I need to upload proof of relation and proof of status disappear automatically?

thanks

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shahankhan said:
Hello Rafzy,

I am kind of in a similar situation. I declared pre ITA that I have an Uncle in Canada who is a citizen. However, I just found he became a citizen through asylum many years ago and has declared he has no siblings in Pakistan. Should I go ahead with the application and submit the necessary documents to prove relationship?
Removing this will obviously reduce 5 points of adaptability in FSW but my points without adaptability stand at 69. No change in CRS. Would there be any complications after making profile change Post ITA? Once I remove it will the area where I need to upload proof of relation and proof of status disappear automatically?

thanks
Safely remove him and write a LOE stating that this does not affect your FSW eligibility.

shahankhan

Oct 10, 2016
DelPiero07 said:
Safely remove him and write a LOE stating that this does not affect your FSW eligibility.
Hi DelPiero,

Thank you for your prompt response.

Will removing him remove the fields as well where I need to upload documents of 'proof of status' and 'proof of relationship'? Any idea?
Thank you

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shahankhan said:
Hi DelPiero,

Thank you for your prompt response.

Will removing him remove the fields as well where I need to upload documents of 'proof of status' and 'proof of relationship'? Any idea?
Thank you
Yes, they will be gone.

atworldsend

Jan 6, 2017
I have the same exact case as you, @atworldsend I got my ITA last week,

Whats the status of your application?
Like others mentioned above, as long as the FSW score stays above 67, it is OK to move on with the application, make the correction and just add a LOE to explain the discrepancy. My application is still processing (I submitted it two months after I had posted the question).

frisbee2017

Star Member
May 23, 2017
My score is above 67 and I haven't decline the invitation. I'll be submitting my application in July. Hope you get your ppr before that. Keep us posted.

DreamCanadaSC

Aug 26, 2018
Hey @atworldsend, I am in the same situation right now. It will be great if you can share the result of your application. Is it worth going LoE route or should I cancel my application, reapply and save time?

frisbee2017

Star Member
May 23, 2017
Follow up: I explained it in the LOE stating that I mistook my cousin as my relative. I added her Canadian passport copy and her contact details. My PR was processed in 55 days. My cousin wasn't contacted. This was in 2017.

Reactions: iam_ij

gsnajm

Aug 25, 2020
Hey guys.. i have a similar question.. I received and ITA after listing that I have a relative (uncle in Canada).. Now that I am uploading the documents for e-APR I realized that I do not need to list my uncle since I have more than 67 points without listing him. So i am considering saying I have NO relatives in canada that way i would not need to go through the hassle of asking my uncle for all the documents required for proof of relationship and proof of family member proof of status..
Would that hurt my application in any way? would i need to include a letter of explanation?
Please advise... thank you guys in advance.