+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change of Status-Post Graduation Work Permit to Visitor

AJ24

Sep 21, 2012
Hello,

Im currently unemployed and have a post graduation work permit which expires October 7 2012. At the same time i have already applied for my PR and (at medical stage) and am completing my medical exams next week. I would like to remain in Canada until my PR is finalized but wont have legal status after Oct 7 2012. My lawyer told me i have to change my status from Post Graduation Work Permit to Visitor, but that there is a chance it could be refused because i have also applied for PR.. i have sent my application to change status from PGWP to visitior today and will now wait for a reply....i filled in all the forms correctly and have submitted all requested documents and have proof of funds also so i dont know why my application to change status would be refused...can anyone shed some light on this?..

Thanks in advance & God bless you all!

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
The officer can not refuse an application simply because you've applied for PR(there is dual intent, where you are allowed to apply for temporary status while you have a PR application). However, it can be refused if the officer is not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay. So the onus is on you to show that you will not overstay. Proof of adequate funds should work in your favor(no concerns about you working illegally). Note that even if the application is denied, you have 90 days to restore your status and perhaps you will have received your PR by then.
Search "dual intent" on the CIC website.