+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change of status- Post Graduatio Work Permit to Visitor

AJ24

Sep 21, 2012
Hello,

Im currently unemployed and have a post graduation work permit which expires October 7 2012. At the same time i have already applied for my PR and (at medical stage) and am completing my medical exams next week. I would like to remain in Canada until my PR is finalized but wont have legal status after Oct 7 2012. My lawyer told me i have to change my status from Post Graduation Work Permit to Visitor, but that there is a chance it could be refused because i have also applied for PR.. i have sent my application to change status from PGWP to visitior today and will now wait for a reply....i filled in all the forms correctly and have submitted all requested documents and have proof of funds also so i dont know why my application to change status would be refused...can anyone shed some light on this?..

Thanks in advance & God bless you all!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
It's discretionary. A VO has broad latitude to decide whether to grant or deny your request.

If they refuse you, they may issue a departure order to you. In that case, you must leave Canada within 30 days or you will make your PR vastly more complicated (because you will need an ARC and have a lifetime ban on entering Canada without one.)

You've made all the arguments, so at this point all you can do is hope the VO agrees with your assessment. That is likely, but it is not guaranteed.

Good luck!

AJ24

Sep 21, 2012
thanks for taking the time to reply, very much appreciated. I had no idea there is a chance i could get a departure order, cant help but be a bit worried about this.

I thought changing status was simply a formality. It would be a complete disaster if that happened, I just moved back to Montreal in June to look for work and complete my PR ( had no idea a PGWP couldn't be renewed) and therefore my lawyer said my only option to remain in Canada after PWGP expired was change status to visitor.

My lawyer also told me that even with a change of status to visitor i could still work in Quebec with my CSQ but only very specific jobs under certain categories ..any thoughts on this..?? thanks again computergeek, God Bless You!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
AJ24 said:
thanks for taking the time to reply, very much appreciated. I had no idea there is a chance i could get a departure order, cant help but be a bit worried about this.
A hazard of my work is that I plan for every possible failure because if my part of the software running on your computer does anything wrong, it will crash your computer and you'll lose your data. So I tend to look for failures and plan accordingly.

So with that said, I'm not saying that this is what WILL happen, just that this is what COULD happen. Much like your lawyer cautiously warning you.

AJ24 said:
I thought changing status was simply a formality. It would be a complete disaster if that happened, I just moved back to Montreal in June to look for work and complete my PR ( had no idea a PGWP couldn't be renewed) and therefore my lawyer said my only option to remain in Canada after PWGP expired was change status to visitor.
Well, if you had known your PR was almost done you could have applied for new work permit and coasted for three months on implied status - but it doesn't sound like you're in that position.

AJ24 said:
My lawyer also told me that even with a change of status to visitor i could still work in Quebec with my CSQ but only very specific jobs under certain categories ..any thoughts on this..?? thanks again computergeek, God Bless You!
Not all jobs require work permits, that is definitely true. And Quebec has its own special rules, so you'd really need to research this one - or ask your attorney, who is familiar with the rules in Quebec.

Sorry I can't be more help. At this point all you can do is wait. Good luck!