+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change of status and possible denial stay?

Blackg01

Jul 30, 2024
Greetings, forum people!

I would like to know if stop studying could lead to a denial in my future WORK HOLIDAY VISA APPLICATION.

My situation here is the following:

I'm currently in Canada as a student enrolled in a private college. My study and work visa are linked to my BRAZILIAN passport. I've just recently became a PORTUGUESE CITIZEN and decided to apply for the working holiday visa. But I have to go to Portugal and issue my passport (possibly in the next week, 5th-7th of august 2024).

I haven't attended classes in the first term (since my work hours don't match my classes hours). The only option I have is to pay all 5k of remaining tuition to change courses (which I could attend). But I don't have the money to do it all before my next term starts and the school warns immigration that I haven't been to any of my classes.

The issue in all that is: I want to as soon as I come back from Portugal, drop out of school so I don't have to pay 5k of remaining tuition. What status in Canada would I have when simultaneously applying for the Work Holiday Visa and dropping out of school? Could I change my status inside the country to tourist while WHV isn't approved? What is recommended to do in this scenario?

I have to drop out of school as soon as possible so I don't have to pay all this money which I'm not gonna use anyways.

Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Greetings, forum people!

I would like to know if stop studying could lead to a denial in my future WORK HOLIDAY VISA APPLICATION.

My situation here is the following:

I'm currently in Canada as a student enrolled in a private college. My study and work visa are linked to my BRAZILIAN passport. I've just recently became a PORTUGUESE CITIZEN and decided to apply for the working holiday visa. But I have to go to Portugal and issue my passport (possibly in the next week, 5th-7th of august 2024).

I haven't attended classes in the first term (since my work hours don't match my classes hours). The only option I have is to pay all 5k of remaining tuition to change courses (which I could attend). But I don't have the money to do it all before my next term starts and the school warns immigration that I haven't been to any of my classes.

The issue in all that is: I want to as soon as I come back from Portugal, drop out of school so I don't have to pay 5k of remaining tuition. What status in Canada would I have when simultaneously applying for the Work Holiday Visa and dropping out of school? Could I change my status inside the country to tourist while WHV isn't approved? What is recommended to do in this scenario?

I have to drop out of school as soon as possible so I don't have to pay all this money which I'm not gonna use anyways.

Thank you!
Apply to change your status to a visitor record once you have returned to Canada. Make sure you stop working immediately (don't start working again once you return to Canada). I would say your situation is a bit uncertain if you only complete one term before dropping out and if you worked during the summer break (assuming you had a summer break). It would be better to remain in school as a full time student while you apply for the WHV program. But obviously your choice.