+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change of status and possible denial stay?

Blackg01

Jul 30, 2024
Greetings, forum people!

I would like to know if stop studying could lead to a denial in my future WORK HOLIDAY VISA APPLICATION.

My situation here is the following:

I'm currently in Canada as a student enrolled in a private college. My study and work visa are linked to my BRAZILIAN passport. I've just recently became a PORTUGUESE CITIZEN and decided to apply for the working holiday visa. But I have to go to Portugal and issue my passport (possibly in the next week, 5th-7th of august 2024).

I haven't attended classes in the first term (since my work hours don't match my classes hours). The only option I have is to pay all 5k of remaining tuition to change courses (which I could attend). But I don't have the money to do it all before my next term starts and the school warns immigration that I haven't been to any of my classes.

The issue in all that is: I want to as soon as I come back from Portugal, drop out of school so I don't have to pay 5k of remaining tuition. What status in Canada would I have when simultaneously applying for the Work Holiday Visa and dropping out of school? Could I change my status inside the country to tourist while WHV isn't approved? What is recommended to do in this scenario?

I have to drop out of school as soon as possible so I don't have to pay all this money which I'm not gonna use anyways.

Thank you!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Greetings, forum people!

I would like to know if stop studying could lead to a denial in my future WORK HOLIDAY VISA APPLICATION.

My situation here is the following:

I'm currently in Canada as a student enrolled in a private college. My study and work visa are linked to my BRAZILIAN passport. I've just recently became a PORTUGUESE CITIZEN and decided to apply for the working holiday visa. But I have to go to Portugal and issue my passport (possibly in the next week, 5th-7th of august 2024).

I haven't attended classes in the first term (since my work hours don't match my classes hours). The only option I have is to pay all 5k of remaining tuition to change courses (which I could attend). But I don't have the money to do it all before my next term starts and the school warns immigration that I haven't been to any of my classes.

The issue in all that is: I want to as soon as I come back from Portugal, drop out of school so I don't have to pay 5k of remaining tuition. What status in Canada would I have when simultaneously applying for the Work Holiday Visa and dropping out of school? Could I change my status inside the country to tourist while WHV isn't approved? What is recommended to do in this scenario?

I have to drop out of school as soon as possible so I don't have to pay all this money which I'm not gonna use anyways.

Thank you!
Sounds like you have never actually attended the school. Doesn’t matter that you have paid tuition. Technically you may have already lost your study permit.