+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

change of program

GLYDE

Aug 27, 2019
hello,
Please help me, I am a Business Management international student from the philippines, and I changed my program to PRACTICAL nursing, do i need to inform ahead of time the immigration about this? And by this action? would this affect my APPLICATION for PR in the near future?

Duy_Anh

Jul 15, 2021
hello,
Please help me, I am a Business Management international student from the philippines, and I changed my program to PRACTICAL nursing, do i need to inform ahead of time the immigration about this? And by this action? would this affect my APPLICATION for PR in the near future?
Hi GLYDE, what was your course of action following this ? Could you please give me some advice because I am also in your situation.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi GLYDE, what was your course of action following this ? Could you please give me some advice because I am also in your situation.
You are asking questions to people before the change in requirements. If you are outside of Canada and changing DLIs, you need a new study permit.

Duy_Anh

Jul 15, 2021
You are asking questions to people before the change in requirements. If you are outside of Canada and changing DLIs, you need a new study permit.
Hi Naturgrl,
Thank you for answering me. I don’t change DLI, but I change programs within the same DLI. I don’t know if the border officer will deny my entry if I show them my new LOA ?

Duy_Anh

Jul 15, 2021
So you have changed a program within the same school and have a new LOA. You should be okay.
It's true. I have asked several other students who changed their program within the same school, and they have no trouble at the border.

Duy_Anh

Jul 15, 2021
That's good to hear. Thanks for the replies
Hi, I just came to Canada and received my Study Permit yesterday. I changed my program too so I want to share what happened to me.
Background : My first program (A) is a post-grad 1 year for 2020 - 2021, got a visa valid for 2020 - 2022. My second program (B) is a 2 year diploma for 2021 - 2023 (I defer)
There were casual questions at first, then when she noticed she couldn't give me a study permit for the length of my program (because of the length of the visa), she asked :
- Did you ask your school to extend the length of your study ?
- No, I changed my program.
- Oh. Did you notify IRCC ?
- I am sorry, but it was in the same school, so I didn't think it was necessary.
- You should’ve notified us. (And she kept mumbling "I don't know what to do with this).
- *Panicked. I thought I was screwed. I gave her this link (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools.html ) and said that according to this link, I thought that I only needed to notify in case of a change of school.
- Thank you for telling me about my job (in a somewhat angry tone). And she went on again about how I should have notified them.

In the end, she did give me a study permit based on my previous program, and said that I needed to extend it later for my new program, and slammed my passport on the table while giving me the study permit. It was a very bad experience for me, but it was my fault in the beginning. I am still glad that she approved my Study Permit :(

Last edited: