+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change of law for PR's seeking to enter Canada

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
While the bulk of this article relates to Canadians seeking to enter the U.S., there are a couple of paragraphs towards the end which stipulate some changes to rules for PR's seeking to return to Canada. Under the new rules, CBSA officers who suspect a PR of not meeting their residency obligations can block those individuals from boarding flights to Canada. These individuals will still be allowed entry through land borders, but not by air. This is very significant for those PR's residing overseas who may not be in compliance of their residency obligations.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/pre-clearance-border-canada-us-1.3976123

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
torontosm said:
While the bulk of this article relates to Canadians seeking to enter the U.S., there are a couple of paragraphs towards the end which stipulate some changes to rules for PR's seeking to return to Canada. Under the new rules, CBSA officers who suspect a PR of not meeting their residency obligations can block those individuals from boarding flights to Canada. These individuals will still be allowed entry through land borders, but not by air. This is very significant for those PR's residing overseas who may not be in compliance of their residency obligations.

Yeah, just read about this... It's going to lead to more stranded PRs and probably more PRTD refusals.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
torontosm said:

Despite the fact that I very much dislike most of the changes this bill brings, I don't see any practical difference for PRs now that eTA is in effect: At the moment, the airline employee at the gate wouldn't let you board the flight without a PR card or PRTD. If Canada would begin with border preclearance, it would be a border officer that wouldn't let you board the flight without a PR card or PRTD. I don't see a difference, but maybe I am missing something?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
spyfy said:
Despite the fact that I very much dislike most of the changes this bill brings, I don't see any practical difference for PRs now that eTA is in effect: At the moment, the airline employee at the gate wouldn't let you board the flight without a PR card or PRTD. If Canada would begin with border preclearance, it would be a border officer that wouldn't let you board the flight without a PR card or PRTD. I don't see a difference, but maybe I am missing something?
You are missing something. Under this bill, you can be rejected for travel even if you are in possession of a valid PR card, if a CBSA officer SUSPECTS that you don't meet the Residency Obligation requirements.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
zardoz said:
You are missing something. Under this bill, you can be rejected for travel even if you are in possession of a valid PR card, if a CBSA officer SUSPECTS that you don't meet the Residency Obligation requirements.
Oooh, OK. Indeed I missed that. Well in that case that makes this whole law even worse. I assume they want people to swim over to enjoy their constitutional right to enter Canada. *facepalm*

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
spyfy said:
Yeah. As also noted by zardoz, a PR with a valid PR card could be denied, if it is determined the PR is inadmissible, from entering Canada . . . that is, from "entering Canada through the preclearance area or preclearance perimeter."

zardoz said:
. . . you can be rejected for travel even if you are in possession of a valid PR card, if a CBSA officer SUSPECTS that you don't meet the Residency Obligation requirements.
Clarification: It would require more than a CBSA officer suspecting a breach of the PR RO. If a CBSA officer is of the opinion that the PR is inadmissible, the CBSA may prepare a report to that effect (see Section 48(4) in Bill C-23). That in itself requires more than a mere suspicion. But then a delegate of the Minister (Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, not the IRCC Minister) must be of the opinion the report is well-founded in order to deny entry into Canada (see section 48(5) in the Bill).

The full impact of this is not clear. Nor is the procedure. Since for immigration purposes, the preclearance area is "outside Canada" (for custom purposes, it is considered to be in Canada), relative to decisions based on the breach of the PR Residency Obligation this would appear to be a residency determination made "outside Canada" which will result in the loss of PR status unless timely appealed.

The CBC article, based on what immigration lawyer Michael Greene said, says PRs will still have the option to drive to the border and be allowed entry.

But if this is applied to PRs with a valid PR card, they should also be able to go to a U.S. airport which has flights to Pearson or Vancouver from U.S. airports where such flights are not subject to preclearance, and still be able to board a flight to Canada. Preclearance will not be universal.

In any event, on its face the provisions in Bill C-23 will allow for issuing inadmissibility reports at the preclearance locations in the U.S., which would not just preclude the PR from boarding the flight but which will apparently trigger loss of PR status unless appealed. And on its face this could be applied to those PRs in possession of a valid PR card.

How it would actually be implemented in practice would depend on the rules adopted by regulation, as is prescribed in section 48(7) of Bill C-23 . . . perhaps the regulations will prescribe that PRs in possession of a valid PR card are presumed to be admissible and not subject to being denied entry based on a breach of the PR RO. But on its face, 48(1), 48(4), and 48(5) in the Bill will allow the Minister's delegate to deny a PR with a PR card entry into Canada if the PR is determined to be inadmissible.

Reminder: there are 8 categories of grounds for deeming a PR inadmissible. Breach of the PR RO is just one of these. It is the only one, however, which can result in a Removal Order without first being referred to an Inadmissibility Hearing.

Again, for text of Bill C-23 see
http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&DocId=8380353&Col=1

And note that this Bill is a long, long way from becoming law. Contrary to what the CBC article says, it is not so clear this is likely to be adopted as is . . . particularly given changes in the American Administration. The Bill was presented in a First Reading in June of last year and has not progressed at all since then.

By the way, there has been preclearance procedures on both sides of the border for quite a long while (I first experienced it 17 years ago, almost to the day), each respectively provided by the other country's officers located respectively abroad . . . but this is a relatively small program affecting only a limited number of flights between the countries . . . it allows for direct flights to smaller cities in the other country, to cities where the destination airport does not have regular border control facilities. This allows such direct flights without having to route the flights through major hubs in the destination country.

It will continue to be more efficient for each respective country to conduct its border control screening on its own soil for most purposes.

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
zardoz said:
No. By law, the PR card and travel document are presumptive proof of status, and valid for travel documents.

This is basically going to only affect people like myself. I'm a US Citizen, and as such exempt from the eTA.

For most PRs, getting on a plane requires a PR card or travel document. If you don't have one, applying will result in a loss of status. You can't get an eTA as a visitor, as you aren't a visitor.

Right now, US citizens are exempt, so we can just use a US passport to get on a plane. With pre-clearance, there won't be a CBSA agent at landing (like it is traveling from a pre-clearance airport in Canada). They land at domestic terminals.

So, with this change, the CBSA can turn people like me around in the US if I fail to have a PR card or travel document, despite being a permanent resident.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
kateg said:
No. By law, the PR card and travel document are presumptive proof of status, and valid for travel documents.

This is basically going to only affect people like myself. I'm a US Citizen, and as such exempt from the eTA.

For most PRs, getting on a plane requires a PR card or travel document. If you don't have one, applying will result in a loss of status. You can't get an eTA as a visitor, as you aren't a visitor.

Right now, US citizens are exempt, so we can just use a US passport to get on a plane. With pre-clearance, there won't be a CBSA agent at landing (like it is traveling from a pre-clearance airport in Canada). They land at domestic terminals.

So, with this change, the CBSA can turn people like me around in the US if I fail to have a PR card or travel document, despite being a permanent resident.
This is NOT the correct interpretation. I myself was wrong initially, but I now read through Bill C-23 and it includes this clause:

"If the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness is of the opinion that the report is well-founded, he or she may refuse to permit the foreign national — or, despite subsections 19(2) and 27(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, the permanent resident — from entering Canada through the preclearance area or preclearance perimeter."

subsection 19(2) is the section of the IRPA that says "An officer shall allow a permanent resident to enter Canada if satisfied following an examination on their entry that they have that status."

subsection 27(1) is the section of the IRPA that says "A permanent resident of Canada has the right to enter and remain in Canada, subject to the provisions of this Act."

This means that Bill C-23 allows officers to deny gate access to PRs despite valid travel documents and their right of entry according to the IRPA.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Also, the next section in C-23 says: "Anything that may be done by the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness under subsection (5) may be done by a border services officer who is so authorized in writing by that Minister, without proof of the authenticity of the authorization."

So it's not just the minister him/herself who can refuse entry.

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
Thank you for the citation.

So, they are taking the stance that it's not really Canada, so they can keep you from entering Canada through that port of entry.

That is indeed a bit broader than they should really go. The PR card is supposed to be presumptive proof - that's it's entire purpose.

Panda_Bear

Jan 8, 2017
These new rules are probably the result of PR card holders keep entering Canada without meeting their RO... it is always a problem that some "bad apples" create a problem and then the rules change for everyone...