+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Certificate of identity or alternative travel document

Garang Ji

May 14, 2017
I've been having a very frustrating experience trying to get my mother back to her home country to see her dying father.

My mother has been a permanent resident for 20 years and is unable to get a passport from her home country. I explained her situation to the Canadian immigration people (after being referred back and forth to various agencies) and they told me to apply for a PR Card and an adult travel document.

I decided to search through the site for travel document information. I read that there are two types of travel documents for non-Canadians. She would be eligible for a certificate of identity but the problem is that you are not allowed to travel to your home country with that.

This is such a slap in the face after I've been on the phone for hours with different people regarding this situation. I made it very clear she has to see her father in Malaysia AND THEY TOLD ME TO APPLY FOR A TRAVEL DOCUMENT WHICH RESTRICTS HER FROM DOING THAT.

I'm tearing my hair apart right now because she cannot apply for any passport and the only travel document that I am aware of restricts her from doing what she needs to do.

Do you guys know of any document that would allow her to travel to her home country, or whether there can be exemptions to the restrictions on the certificate of identity? I just need some alternative perspectives because my research is coming up with nothing and the people I've talked to on the phone have been really unhelpful.