+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC work experience while studying full-time OUTSIDE of Canada

anvilondre

Oct 19, 2023
Hi there,

For the past year I have been working full-time in Canada under an open work permit through CUAET visa. However, I was also studying full-time (remotely) for my home university in Ukraine. I have graduated (BSc) this May, and now have difficulties understanding whether I'm eligible for CEC express entry.

All I could find is that experience while being a student in Canada doesn't count towards CEC, but the examples are usually co-op programs and nothing close to my situation.

Another piece of information I see is that work experience during studying outside of Canada counts towards the CRS score. Which seems to reinforce the hope of my eligibility, but doesn't mention CEC specifically.

[source] of the above points.

I feel confused and not sure if I'll have to wait another half a year before I can apply. Would greatly appreciate any help or advice.

Cheers!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there,

For the past year I have been working full-time in Canada under an open work permit through CUAET visa. However, I was also studying full-time (remotely) for my home university in Ukraine. I have graduated (BSc) this May, and now have difficulties understanding whether I'm eligible for CEC express entry.

All I could find is that experience while being a student in Canada doesn't count towards CEC, but the examples are usually co-op programs and nothing close to my situation.

Another piece of information I see is that work experience during studying outside of Canada counts towards the CRS score. Which seems to reinforce the hope of my eligibility, but doesn't mention CEC specifically.

[source] of the above points.

I feel confused and not sure if I'll have to wait another half a year before I can apply. Would greatly appreciate any help or advice.

Cheers!
You were studying outside of Canada and were not inside of Canada on a study permit. You can absolutely count your work experience gained in Canada towards CEC (i.e. as Canadian work experience). You'll need to go throug the ECA process for your BSc to be able to claim points for that.

anvilondre

Oct 19, 2023
You were studying outside of Canada and were not inside of Canada on a study permit. You can absolutely count your work experience gained in Canada towards CEC (i.e. as Canadian work experience). You'll need to go throug the ECA process for your BSc to be able to claim points for that.
Thank you, that's very helpful!