+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC with 1 Year PGWP - 13 days Missing to Fulfill 52 weeks Work Experience Requirement

7jekyl

Jul 13, 2024
Hi.

I'm currently on my 1 year PGWP, residing in New Brunswick. Yes, I'm aware of the AIP program. But I would like to know if I could have a chance to do CEC as well.

My PGWP expires on Feb. 25, 2025. However, I found and began my NOC job only until Mar. 08, 2024. And if I were to submit an application for CEC on Feb. 24, 2025 (assuming I can apply with only 1 day remaining of my valid status) - this means that I'll be missing 1 week and 6 days for the fulfillment of the requirement of 52 weeks, 12 months, 30hrs/week.

My questions are these:
1) Can I apply just 1 day before my status expires
2) Can I apply for CEC even though I don't meet the requirements just so I can 'maintain my status' past the expiry (which allows me to keep working till I reach the requirement or is this illegal)?
3) If it is legal, and I complete my 52 weeks, say around Mar. 09, 2025.. can I submit an application again? Which brings me to my next question -
Will IRCC check the recent one (completed work requirements) or the older one (incomplete work requirements)? And if the older one is found to be insufficient for the requirement, will they ask me to leave Canada immediately OR will they ask me for additional documents where I can send them the updated total hours/days/weeks/months earned?

Can someone help me with this? Kind of disheartening to miss getting my residency after falling short of just 1 week and 6 days of the work experience requirement. But I'd just like to know if this method is still justifiable under Canadian law. If not then it would have been worth asking anyway..

forevermore76

May 19, 2024
1. Yes
2. Applying for CEC means you submit your profile in the pool and wait for invitation. If you don't meet the requirements you very likely won't be able to submit your profile or be rejected.

Here's how IRCC will assess the 1 year under CEC.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/experience/qualifying-work-experience.html

Submitting your profile doesn't put you on maintained status, what you are referring to is applying for an extension of PGWP (which will be refused as there's no basis), but technically gives you maintained status and allows you to keep working. It's a loophole which some people are exploiting and the repercussions at the moment are unknown. That said, earlier today the govt. announced about bring measures to cut down TFW. You'll have to decide for your own.

3. Technically, yes. IRCC will consider you within status till the date of refusal. The refusal however will put you out of status (unless you have something else going on) and generally ask you to leave Canada. You have the choice to apply for restoration then, refusal of restoration usually comes with a removal order.

I'll recommend exploring AIP further or convincing your employer to obtain a LMIA. All the best.

7jekyl

Jul 13, 2024
I see, seems like CEC is not an option.
AIP is also under the same-ish problem cause it also has a 1 year work experience requirement. However I'm not entirely sure if my job as a FT Barista during my study permit counts as TEER 4. If it is then there should be no problem applying for it haha.

Maybe I should go back to Ontario since I studied there and there's a PNP pathway for INTL students but that's another problem in itself. Big sigh

Thanks for your helpful response as well :)

forevermore76

May 19, 2024
I see, seems like CEC is not an option.
AIP is also under the same-ish problem cause it also has a 1 year work experience requirement. However I'm not entirely sure if my job as a FT Barista during my study permit counts as TEER 4. If it is then there should be no problem applying for it haha.

Maybe I should go back to Ontario since I studied there and there's a PNP pathway for INTL students but that's another problem in itself. Big sigh

Thanks for your helpful response as well :)
Foreign work experience does count under AIP, if you have any.

7jekyl

Jul 13, 2024
All my work experience were gained while in Canada, AIP also has a 1 year work experience requirement unless you graduated from the Atlantic provinces, which I did not