+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC - CONFUSING QUESTION- DIFFERENT ANSWERS

sanat.376

Star Member
Jan 8, 2014
Hi all,
my question after a lot of discussion with cic representatives,immigration consultants and service canada, centre for education and training still stands unanswered......
can i apply under CEC, WITH ALL OTHER REQUIREMENTS MET,if i gathered one year of work experience in a skilled trade that normally needs licensing,
without an LMO and a license since i m a temporary worker. but i worked legally under PGWP (post grad work permit)

anyone with an answer or experience on this, please please reply fast.

A couple of days ago, I expressed my dissatisfaction about CIC's website to a CIC call centre girl. She told me that someone would call me back in 48 ours which they did. I got a call from an unknown no., that I believe is their protocol and this guy told me that i am good to apply under CEC as i have one year of work experience in a skilled trade acquired legally through an open PGWP.other conditions meeting as well.I informed him again that i did not ave any license as is normally needed in this trade. But he maintained I was good.
and today i called Cic yet again and this girl tells me, after putting me on hold for a few minutes she told me that they did not know the answer to my question as licensing was done by HRSDC and immigration was different.and told me to HRSDC' s( now name changed) website.
to which i contended that since HRSDC AND CIC are not interlinked, how come they would answer my immigration question when cic couldnt answer their question....and finally after a few if's and but's she said and i quote'' it will be upon the discretion of the case officer who would be working on my file to accept or reject my file, they couldn't say anything more on that''

and hey guys guys guys...a funny thing happened....before talking to this girl i had called CIC twice and the second time a guy,before even listening to my question full,cut me in the middle and said that cic guys did not have much experience about CEC REQUIREMENTS and that i should contact ottawa office...when I asked why, he replied because these applications are not processed outside canada like in buffalo....''where did buffalo come in from?'' i asked....now why would they start giving this utterly stupid and useless info to a caller who is least bothered about where the application is going to be processed?.... and he did not even let me finish my question...lol...did they tag my phone number??...so the third time when i called and spoke to the last girl mentioned above...my first question was...if i had called into the right place to seek some info on CEC...and she said yes please go ahead...

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
OK, look at it this way.

Would a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident have been able to legally do the same job as you did without them having a license?

If not, then neither can you and the CEC application will probably be refused as illegal work.

iamroth

Champion Member
Jan 26, 2013
Category........
App. Filed.......
23-03-2018
What is the NOC in question? Cause I believe the girl was right, it would fall upon the case officer. I know it is not fair - cause there should always be guidelines. But I could not find any in this case.

If it goes smooth, CEC has straight forward requirements. 12 months of legal work (or equivalent) in an accepted NOC in Canada as an English/French linguist.

So if you fulfill all these requirements, you are good to go. But the case officer may ask "This applicant needs a license to this job, I wonder if he has it". If you have the reference letter + other documents, I don't believe it is going to be a problem. But as I mentioned IF the case officer wants to see your license, then it may become a refusal.

Though if he finds all documents in order, he may never ask for any additional documents, which would allow the application to progress.

On a note, how did you work in a job without license for one year, that requires a license?

gladaki

Champion Member
Jul 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2013
AOR Received.
30-12-2013
IELTS Request
submitted with application
Med's Done....
Upfront on 29th April..Updated on Ecas on 26th May
Passport Req..
11-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-07-2014
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
After going through your post here is my input

Get a reference letter with one year work experience..
pay slips for on year
T4 slips
NOA
Workpermit copy showing work experience valid during that period

They wont ask for your licence..
Asking for licence is requirement of employer who hired you not for CIC. Just supply what CIC needed

sanat.376

Star Member
Jan 8, 2014
hi roth ,
thanks for the reply. much appreciate that. i worked legally as i had the authorization from the immigration to work with any employer for one year. and it happened to be a regulated trade....but again if you go deeper into working as a tradesperson or helper for that matter, one can do all the plumbing tasks i did under direct supervision of licensed plumber. and i did just that...wherever i went to repair a pinhole leak,or snake a backed-up kitchen drain or shut down the boiler systems in buildings etc. i always worked under the supervision of licensed master plumbers....and in just three months i was doing everything on my own...but still had a licensed plumber on my head ....so i have one year of experience in a skilled trade, but its all getting stuck at the NOC CODE....plumbers have 7251 noc(b)...but as per hrsdc plumber means license...i dont know if immigration will mean the same like in my federal skilled trades category...or will they be satisfied with the basic conditions being met

sanat.376

Star Member
Jan 8, 2014
HEY GLADAKI,

after a lot of discussion with you guys and reading your expert comments, i have decided to leave it upon my fate. since time is less, i am now going to apply for CEC. however there is a catch...i had applied for PR under FEDERAL SKILLED TRADES CLASS, my original documents are still with SYDNEY OFFICE. i emailed them this past monday asking for my originals back to apply under another category.and got an acknowledgement email saying they will get back to me in 20 working days,meaning a month. My originals with them are the following:

1) PCC from RCMP( IS IT VALID FOR A YEAR?? I THINK I READ IT ON CIC WEBSITE ,NOT REALLY CERTAIN THOUGH)
2) PCC from HOME country( HAVENT LEFT CANADA IN THE LAST 2 YEARS, SO should their be need for another one??)
3)school transcripts and records from canadian post secondary(CEC doesnt want schoold documens does it? i can give photocopies)
4) CELPIP results( however i have my original copy- students copy)

but i have my ORIGINAL WORK PERMIT.

so my question is CAN I STILL FILE FOR CEC WITH PHOTOCOPIES AND INCLUDE THE REASON FOR IT AND ALSO STATING THAT ORIGINALS WILL BE MAILED AS SOON AS I GET THEM AS THEY HAVE BEEN REQUESTED FOR AND WRITE ALL THIS ON A COVER LETTER.

and what if, i apply under another category after applying under one already??

jeenu2014

Jan 11, 2014
hi i am also worried about the same question as i had open work permit and i am Early childhood educator. My job also need licence to work as Registered early childhood educator and i started my work in July 2013 but i got licence in September,2013. So my question is that from which month my experience will be count

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have answered your own question. It's legal for you to complete the duties aslong as it's under the supervision of a licensed professional. You should ensure that your employer makes clear in your ref. letter that you completed the mentioned duties under the supervision of xxx.

You should be fine.

jeenu2014

Jan 11, 2014
Thanks for ur reply i have one more question can i go to India for a week during my work experience and i do have multiple entry visa which is valid until 2016. if yes than is i need do i more week in my job do complete my one year experience

iamroth

Champion Member
Jan 26, 2013
Category........
App. Filed.......
23-03-2018
sanat.376 said:
1) PCC from RCMP = Not a requirement. You do it, if CIC asks for it.
2) PCC from HOME country = Must get a new one. CIC only accepts PCC which are 3 months old or less.
3)school transcripts and records from canadian post secondary = No educational copies required for CEC.
4) CELPIP results = When did u take the exam? Language tests results are valid for upto 2 years.
Take a look at the Document Checklist for CEC.
I have feeling you already have all the documents needed for CEC other than PCC from home country perhaps?

You can have multiple streams of PR application processing. For Example: you can have FSW and CEC - two different PR application running, until one of them gives you green light for PR. Then you contact CIC and cancel the other one.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
sanat.376 said:
1) PCC from RCMP( IS IT VALID FOR A YEAR?? I THINK I READ IT ON CIC WEBSITE ,NOT REALLY CERTAIN THOUGH)
RCMP is NOT required, unless CIC specifically requests it during processing.

2) PCC from HOME country( HAVENT LEFT CANADA IN THE LAST 2 YEARS, SO should their be need for another one??)
What, CIC should just take your word for it? Requirements are that ALL required PCCs can be NO OLDER than 3 months at the time of application. So you need new PCCs, and they must be original documents. Although CIC prefers that you submit them at the same time as your application, it is also possible to submit them later.

3)school transcripts and records from canadian post secondary(CEC doesnt want schoold documens does it? i can give photocopies)
Not required.

4) CELPIP results( however i have my original copy- students copy)
Results are good for 2 years. An original document is required.

so my question is CAN I STILL FILE FOR CEC WITH PHOTOCOPIES AND INCLUDE THE REASON FOR IT AND ALSO STATING THAT ORIGINALS ...

In most cases, required documents can be photocopies. The instructions specify which documents must be originals (PCCs, language test results, translations).

Feel free to read the application instructions. All your questions are answered there - and if it doesn't say you need something, you don't need it.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5609ETOC.asp

Liam88

Mar 27, 2015
How did this case work out? I'm dealing with the exact same issue right now. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks