+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC - Bridging Visa / Open Work Permit

TravisK

Aug 24, 2016
Hi All,

I want to make sure I understand the process as it currently is, and understand the timeline before I make any decisions:

I am a US citizen with an ITA under the CEC section of Express Entry. I have already submitted an application for spousal sponsorship (my wife is a Canadian Permanent Resident) but if this is an avenue that will let me work in Canada much sooner, I would like to explore it. I should note that I have already completed my medical, and have already recieved copies of my police records from the US (though I only have one original copy, it isn't watermarked, but is on tamperproof paper).

As I understand it, I can currently submit an application (online) for an OWP immediately after I receive the automated AOR from CIC on my Expess Entry application. Then, the OWP will begin to be processed after the completeness check.

Can anyone give me an idea as to the current timeline between AOR and the completeness check?

Additionally, I am unsure about any implied status that would come along with the OWP. Is there any implied status upon notification that the OWP is being processed?

I have a current closed work permit which is due to expire in March of 2017 (< 4 months away).

Thanks!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
TravisK said:
As I understand it, I can currently submit an application (online) for an OWP immediately after I receive the automated AOR from CIC on my Expess Entry application. Then, the OWP will begin to be processed after the completeness check.

Correct.

Can anyone give me an idea as to the current timeline between AOR and the completeness check?
I can't - hopefully, someone else can.

Additionally, I am unsure about any implied status that would come along with the OWP. Is there any implied status upon notification that the OWP is being processed?
I have a current closed work permit which is due to expire in March of 2017 (< 4 months away).

Well, depending on exact dates, that is closer to five months away. Make sure it is less than 4 months before you apply.

Yes, you would be on implied status if you have not received a response by the time your current permit expires. However, you should be aware that if you leave Canada while on implied status, you lose that status. In that case, tou may be able to return as a visitor, but you won't be able to work until you get a new work permit.

TravisK

Aug 24, 2016
Thanks jes_ON,

Question, I've seen many on here say that the AOR is automated when submitting online, but I also see lots of folks (yourself included) which have their dates showing AOR three months later. Did you submit via paper?

Thanks much!