+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC application in parallel with spouse PNP

shroud27

Feb 7, 2014
I was wondering if you guys and gals might be able to offer some advice. Is it possible for a married couple to each apply to separate immigration programs in parallel? When should we notify CIC to cancel one of the applications? In August 2014 I applied for PR under CEC and at the same time my husband applied for PR under PNP-O (he had already been nominated); we figured we would apply under both programs just in case. I applied and was granted an extension to my work permit through the Bridging Open Work Permit program when I received my AOR. My husband just received the request for medical exams for PNP, should I cancel my CEC application? If I cancel my CEC application would that get me in trouble because my work permit is tied to my CEC application?

My Timeline:
Aplied for CEC: August 2014
AOR: September 2014
Request for Medicals: Pending

My Husbands Timeline:
Applied for Provincial nomination: January 2014
Received Provincial nomination: June 2014
Applied for PR PNP-O: July 2014
AOR: January 2015
Request for Medicals: January 2015

Thanks for your help.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I hope you included each other on both applications.

Yes, it is possible to have multiple applications, and alternate the PA. But if you are married, your spouse has to be on your application too (unless they are already Canadian citizens/PR).

Anyway - if you did it right and have your husband on your CEC application, then there is no benefit to cancelling the application.

The fact that he received the MR does not mean that his PNP application has received final approval. But you can cancel one or the other application after you get the passport request.

shroud27

Feb 7, 2014
Yes, we did include each other on our applications and just changed the primary applicant. So no problem with the BOWP?