+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC 1,560 Hour Requirement - Please Help!

actntrl

Jan 21, 2017
Hi all!

I have gotten an offer for a level 0 job (social media marketing coordinator), and on the contract it says I will be working 42.5 hours a week.

Given that the requirement for CEC is 1,560 hours (based on 30/h a week), does this mean that i will meet the requirement for Ft skilled work in 37 weeks (9 months)?

Can anyone point me to resources that can perhaps answer this question? I dont want to be wasting my time working 12 extra hours a week for nothing.

Here is what is on the website:

"Full Time

30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)

Part time

15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
OR
30 hours/week for 12 months at more than one job = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)

You must show that you did the duties set out in the lead statement of the occupational description in the NOC, including all the essential duties and most of the main duties listed.

If you do not show that your experience meets the description in the NOC, we will not accept your application.

Find out the NOC code, title and skill type or level for your job.

If your existing work permit is about to expire, you may be eligible for a bridging open work permit. If you are eligible, this permit can let you keep working while you wait for a final decision on your permanent residence application.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
actntrl said:
I have gotten an offer for a level 0 job (social media marketing coordinator), and on the contract it says I will be working 42.5 hours a week.

I guarantee you that is not an O level job, but it is skilled and does qualify.

Given that the requirement for CEC is 1,560 hours (based on 30/h a week),

No, the MINIMUM requirement is 1 year of full-time work (defined as "30 or more hours per week"). This job qualifies as full-time work, and therefore you would need to work for one year / 52 weeks.

The "hourly" examples are given so that part-time people (working fewer than 30 hours per week) can calculate their full-time equivalent. By definition, this takes longer than one year.

does this mean that i will meet the requirement for Ft skilled work in 37 weeks (9 months)?

Absolutely not. One year / 52 weeks is the minimum.

Can anyone point me to resources that can perhaps answer this question?
The same website, http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/apply-who.asp

You can also read the ministerial instructions -
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/mi/express-entry.asp

"Full-time work

(5) For the purposes of this section, full-time work consists of at least 30 hours of work per week.

Work in excess

(6) For the purposes of this section, a period of work experience that exceeds full-time work in one occupation, or simultaneous periods of work experience in more than one full-time occupation, are to be evaluated as a single period of full-time work experience in a single occupation.

Work experience — requirements

(7) For the purposes of this section,

(a) a period of employment during which the foreign national was engaged in full-time study is not to be included in calculating a period of work experience;
(b) a period of self-employment or unauthorized work is not to be included in calculating a period of work experience;
(c) the foreign national must have had temporary resident status during their period of work experience and any period of full-time study or training; and
(d) the full-time equivalent for part-time work experience is 30 hours of work per week."

I dont want to be wasting my time working 12 extra hours a week for nothing.
We should all be so lucky to be able to be so choosy. Good luck -