+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Careless Mistake when Background Declaration was submitted - opinion please.

Beaver

Feb 11, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all:

I only recently discovered this stupid mistake I made when I filled up my Background Declaration in my PR application years ago. I have been living happily in Canada for the past 5 years.

In the form it was asked where my Father birthplace was, and I answered "Molo, Philippines" instead of "Jaro, Philippines" because I believed all my life he was born in Molo. Molo and Jaro are both districts of the city of Iloilo; they were absorbed by the city in 1937 whereas my father was born in 1932. I could not believe I overlooked this fact, and when I reviewed my birth certificate (which I also submitted to CIC when I applied) it was written there that he was actually born in Jaro. I believed all my life that he was born in Molo and I wrote that information out of the top of my head without verfiying, until today, which is a shock to me. Stupid things people like me do...

For some reason the CIC officer who reviewed my case missed that, too, otherwise I may have been asked to appear to an interview.

The question is, is that considered as "misrepresentation of material fact"? Is there any way to rectify this information with CIC without any risk to be removed from Canada?

Any opinion is appreciated. Thanks!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

quote author=Beaver link=topic=35277.msg226258#msg226258 date=1266865972]
Hi all:

I only recently discovered this stupid mistake I made when I filled up my Background Declaration in my PR application years ago. I have been living happily in Canada for the past 5 years.

In the form it was asked where my Father birthplace was, and I answered "Molo, Philippines" instead of "Jaro, Philippines" because I believed all my life he was born in Molo. Molo and Jaro are both districts of the city of Iloilo; they were absorbed by the city in 1937 whereas my father was born in 1932. I could not believe I overlooked this fact, and when I reviewed my birth certificate (which I also submitted to CIC when I applied) it was written there that he was actually born in Jaro. I believed all my life that he was born in Molo and I wrote that information out of the top of my head without verfiying, until today, which is a shock to me. Stupid things people like me do...

For some reason the CIC officer who reviewed my case missed that, too, otherwise I may have been asked to appear to an interview.

The question is, is that considered as "misrepresentation of material fact"? Is there any way to rectify this information with CIC without any risk to be removed from Canada?

Any opinion is appreciated. Thanks!

[/quote]

No, it is immaterial and it doesn't have to be rectified.

PMM

Beaver

Feb 11, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks again PMM, for you have again answered my 2nd question for today. :)

Do you know of another case similar to this, by any chance?