+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

<===== Canda Study issues | Good Universities | Visa | Opinions ======>

Asad Rizwan

Sep 24, 2014
Hello Guys,
I am planning to move to Canada after finishing my 12th class.
I am currently in Pakistan and Planning to move abroad for higher studies [ Engineering (Civil,electrical,mechanical)].
I researched a little and saw that Canada is worth a try.

I am here to seek help from you guys.
I will be very thankfull to you if u guys can tell me which university is PERFECT for Engineering and how much funds I should have.

Here are some questions.

1- Which university is the best in Canada ?
2- How much funds [ ALL SEMESTERS + LIVING + TUITION FEES ] do I need ?
3- IELTS band should be +6 ?
4- How should I start ? I mean " Apply for a visa and then ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. If you want to take Engineering then Waterloo.
2. Plan for $150K for a four years degree (it could be more).
3. If you want Waterloo, I would make sure you have at least 6.5 in all four IELTS categories.
4. No - you don't apply for a visa first. First you have to be accepted by a school.

ibnbatuta

Jun 24, 2014
1. University of waterloo - a tech university - 5 years engineering course - compulsory six semesters of co op work term - software engineering is the most competitive - fees for engineering is higher than computer science. Very high co op job rate at least in last 4 work terms. Co op earning may be able to compensate about a year of your studies in total. Enrollment for international students is limited. About 12% undergraduate.

Other universities would be university of toronto, university of British Columbia, McGill university. They all are internationally ranked and therefore their fees is very high. At ubc you can get into co op in the second year. At toronto it is voluntary co op ( PEY ) or 16 months internship. McGill is again voluntary internship. However at McGill mining and material engg has compulsory co op ( it is longer than 4 yrs course ) .McGill allows you to give science placement exam wherein you will be exempted from many of the first year science course if you pass it at the beginning of the year.

If after waterloo you want to consider an engg course I would suggest university of calgary ( schulich school of engineering ) . A highly under rated university. Fees moderate compared to international standards. It has a voluntary 16 months internship after 3rd year which is open to international student. Roughly 90% of the 430 students enrolled manage 12 to 16 months internship ( 2013 data ) Calgary is the engg Capitol of canada and chances of placements is very high. University of alberta is better than calgary but engg co op is only open for very high achieving international students.

Please remember that in all co op or internship generally getting a job is not very easy for international student at least in initial years. Your academic achievement followed by your communication skill is very vital.

B. tution fees differ based on international ranking. Toronto , ubc , McGill, waterloo would all be nearing about 32000 cad for 2 terms ( one year ) . Calgary would be 23000. Yes , therefore , it could be 150000 cad or more for total course.

C. Different universities have different yardstick for English language. Generally with 7 band in ielts one is comfortable. Waterloo requires 7 but are willing to consider 6.5 on individual cases. Toefl requirements for waterloo is 90 with minimum band of 25 for writing and speaking.

D. Start googling everything about individual universities. Everything is available on the net and on university sites. Just change the search parameters and you will get newer informations of the university. Remember that McGill application will close the earliest around 15 th jan for fall 2015. English language requirements have a deadline to reach the university. At waterloo it is march.

Scholorship for undergraduate studies is peanuts so do not take that into account except when you consider yourself to be 97-98 % types.

It is easier to get visa for undergraduate studies as it is fairly easy to prove the genuineness of your study intention. Visa from Pakistan take a lot of time so do apply early as universities give out rolling admission to international students.

Now is the time to research the net. Apply by dec and I think you will be comfortable.