+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Work Experience | score mismatch

periyarcanada

Apr 14, 2017
I have an active profile in express entry with the overall score of 443. However, I see discrepancy in scores between the CRS points calculator and my profile. I see this is due to the canadian work experience.

I started working in Canada from May 22nd, 2015 and I am currently working.

CRS calculator:

Total score is 420.
I considered 1 year of Canadian work experience since I will complete 2 years only on May 21st, 2017.

Actual profile:

Total score is 443.
I mentioned the start date as May 2015 in the application form.

Now, I see the reason for the increase of 23 points is due to the actual profile considering my work experience as 2 years as of today. I would like to know if it is accurate.

The questions I have:

1. If I get the ITA before May 21st 2017 (before completing 2 years) and I apply based on that ITA, will my application get rejected later after reviewing all the details?
2. Since it is purely a system glitch can I still go ahead and apply if I get the ITA before May 21st? Or
3. Should I refuse the ITA if I get one before May 21st to avoid any issues later?

Advice will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

azaadpanchee

Star Member
Nov 13, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
15-03-2017
Med's Done....
06-04-2017
I had the exact same issue - my work experience was rounded up and I was awarded add'l points.

>Start date for my work experience that I claimed points for: Feb/12/2016
>ITA Received: Jan/04/2017
>ITA Round Cut-Off: 468 points
>EE profile calculated CRS at the time of ITA: 496 (incorrect)
>Actual CRS at the time of ITA: 471 (correct)

Keep in mind that in my case I was lucky that even without the CIC glitch, I would still have received an ITA for that round.

I asked around at the time about this and this is what I was told:

1. Intentionally change the start date on EE profile to a later date to prevent this from happening. I wasn't comfortable with this as now I am manipulating the system to correct a glitch on CIC's end.

2. Reject the ITA and wait until I actually completed my 2 years and then hope/pray for another ITA

3. Go ahead an accept the ITA, but wait until the completion of 2 years before submitting eAPR just to be on the safe side.. I was also advised to explain the entire situationin my LoE. I chose this option. Is it the right option? I don't know... time will tell. But I am glad I chose this option as I never did anything wrong to begin with. Also llike I said I was lucky that my actual CRS would have still made me eligible to receive an ITA even without the glitch.

OK... now my opinion about your questions:

1. I don't think it will get rejected so long as you would have gotten an ITA even without the glitch (i.e. your actual CRS was at or above the cut-off for the ITA round)
2. I think so - please see the rest of the post
3. You could and maybe you should if you're confident you'll receive an ITA for sure on or after May 21st - this would be the way to go as it involves the least amount of hassle. However, the risk is that 1) maybe the CRS cut-off starts going up again, 2) maybe you will lose/quit your job between the date you receive your ITA and your completion of 2 years work experience, 3) maybe CIC changes rules again, and 4) maybe the sky falls down and elephants start flying.

Hope this helps!

greengoo5

Star Member
Aug 31, 2016
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
periyarcanada said:
I have an active profile in express entry with the overall score of 443. However, I see discrepancy in scores between the CRS points calculator and my profile. I see this is due to the canadian work experience.

I started working in Canada from May 22nd, 2015 and I am currently working.

CRS calculator:

Total score is 420.
I considered 1 year of Canadian work experience since I will complete 2 years only on May 21st, 2017.

Actual profile:

Total score is 443.
I mentioned the start date as May 2015 in the application form.

Now, I see the reason for the increase of 23 points is due to the actual profile considering my work experience as 2 years as of today. I would like to know if it is accurate.

The questions I have:

1. If I get the ITA before May 21st 2017 (before completing 2 years) and I apply based on that ITA, will my application get rejected later after reviewing all the details?
2. Since it is purely a system glitch can I still go ahead and apply if I get the ITA before May 21st? Or
3. Should I refuse the ITA if I get one before May 21st to avoid any issues later?

Advice will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
It's not a glitch. You mentioned your start date as May 2015. The system picks up completion of two years on 1st April 2015.

Happened the same in my case. My work start date was 27th May 2013 whereas I got the extra points on 1st April 2016. I received the ITA on 4th or 5th and had AOR by 9th April.

Been in Canada for more than 5 months now.

periyarcanada

Apr 14, 2017
greengoo5 said:
It's not a glitch. You mentioned your start date as May 2015. The system picks up completion of two years on 1st April 2015.

Happened the same in my case. My work start date was 27th May 2013 whereas I got the extra points on 1st April 2016. I received the ITA on 4th or 5th and had AOR by 9th April.

Been in Canada for more than 5 months now.
Hi Greengoo5,

Thanks for the response. You mean you received the points for 3 years experience on 1st April 2016 and got the ITA on 4th or 5th of April? What was the cut-off point when you received the ITA and what was your point? This information will help me a lot.

Thanks in advance.

periyarcanada

Apr 14, 2017
azaadpanchee said:
I had the exact same issue - my work experience was rounded up and I was awarded add'l points.

>Start date for my work experience that I claimed points for: Feb/12/2016
>ITA Received: Jan/04/2017
>ITA Round Cut-Off: 468 points
>EE profile calculated CRS at the time of ITA: 496 (incorrect)
>Actual CRS at the time of ITA: 471 (correct)

Keep in mind that in my case I was lucky that even without the CIC glitch, I would still have received an ITA for that round.

I asked around at the time about this and this is what I was told:

1. Intentionally change the start date on EE profile to a later date to prevent this from happening. I wasn't comfortable with this as now I am manipulating the system to correct a glitch on CIC's end.

2. Reject the ITA and wait until I actually completed my 2 years and then hope/pray for another ITA

3. Go ahead an accept the ITA, but wait until the completion of 2 years before submitting eAPR just to be on the safe side.. I was also advised to explain the entire situationin my LoE. I chose this option. Is it the right option? I don't know... time will tell. But I am glad I chose this option as I never did anything wrong to begin with. Also llike I said I was lucky that my actual CRS would have still made me eligible to receive an ITA even without the glitch.

OK... now my opinion about your questions:

1. I don't think it will get rejected so long as you would have gotten an ITA even without the glitch (i.e. your actual CRS was at or above the cut-off for the ITA round)
2. I think so - please see the rest of the post
3. You could and maybe you should if you're confident you'll receive an ITA for sure on or after May 21st - this would be the way to go as it involves the least amount of hassle. However, the risk is that 1) maybe the CRS cut-off starts going up again, 2) maybe you will lose/quit your job between the date you receive your ITA and your completion of 2 years work experience, 3) maybe CIC changes rules again, and 4) maybe the sky falls down and elephants start flying.

Hope this helps!

Hi Azaad,

Thanks a lot for such a detailed response. I really appreciate it.

I have sent a query to CIC with the details of my case and application#. They say they will respond within 10 business days provided I have given enough details to them. I am not sure if I will get an accurate response this week. Also, I have been trying to reach out to them through their help desk agent, but unsuccessful yet.

My apprehensions are:

1. Since the number of ITA sent out this year is already very high I guess they will stop the further draws or reduce the number. Is that reasonable? In that case my chances of getting picked up post May with 443 points is bleak.
2. If I get the ITA before May for a cut-off point which is higher than my actual point will that be a problem because I didn't do anything wrong from my end?

Thanks.