+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian work experience and foreign work experience from the same year.

ammygheewala

Jun 10, 2024
I am currently on my work permit(Sept 2021 - Sept 2024) and I have 2 years of Canadian experience(Jan 2022 - Feb 2024). ALong with I have been working on a remort global position (Oct 2021 - Nov 2023). In this case, will I get, points for both Canadian experience and foreign experience as they overlap with each other?

Please advise. Thank you

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am currently on my work permit(Sept 2021 - Sept 2024) and I have 2 years of Canadian experience(Jan 2022 - Feb 2024). ALong with I have been working on a remort global position (Oct 2021 - Nov 2023). In this case, will I get, points for both Canadian experience and foreign experience as they overlap with each other?

Please advise. Thank you
You cannot ”double dip”. Pick one or the other.

• Haha
Reactions: Lord_Tony

yuandom

Jun 11, 2023
You cannot ”double dip”. Pick one or the other.
Hi Naturgrl, do you know if foreign work experience should be gained with the past 3 years? I have a one year non-continued foreign work experience and am going to apply CEC using my one year Canada work experience. Not sure if this foreign work experience can be claimed as points or not...

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi Naturgrl, do you know if foreign work experience should be gained with the past 3 years? I have a one year non-continued foreign work experience and am going to apply CEC using my one year Canada work experience. Not sure if this foreign work experience can be claimed as points or not...
It should be if not at the same time as your Canadian experience. You will be eligible for CEC not FSW draws.

yuandom

Jun 11, 2023
It should be if not at the same time as your Canadian experience. You will be eligible for CEC not FSW draws.
I will be qualified for CEC since I only have one year continuous Canada work experience, which meets CEC requirements. For my foreign work experience, I got them individually 4 month from 2023 and 8 months from 2020, in this case I can still use them right? though part of them are from 4 years ago...

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I will be qualified for CEC since I only have one year continuous Canada work experience, which meets CEC requirements. For my foreign work experience, I got them individually 4 month from 2023 and 8 months from 2020, in this case I can still use them right? though part of them are from 4 years ago...
You don’t need one year of continuous Canadian work experience. You just need at least one year of Canadian experience within last 3 years. For foreign experience, it may count but not under FSW.

yuandom

Jun 11, 2023
You don’t need one year of continuous Canadian work experience. You just need at least one year of Canadian experience within last 3 years. For foreign experience, it may count but not under FSW.
Thanks for your prompt reply! I still got some confuse,

"You just need at least one year of Canadian experience within last 3 years. " yeah for this part I am qualified.
" For foreign experience, it may count but not under FSW. " For this part, can I claim some points using foreign work experience under CEC category? is it case by case for the calculation for foreign work experience under CEC category. especially they are outside the past 3 years..

Lord_Tony

Mar 7, 2023
Toronto
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-03-2023
AOR Received.
07-05-2023
Med's Done....
15-05-2023
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2023
If you are working in Canada on a closed WP, you are explicitly barred from working for other employers anywhere. Assuming you had violated that, now there is no point in declaring foreign experience working with employers abroad at the same as working with Canadian employment also. The same applies to income taxes also if you earn money abroad you are liable to pay CRA tax for the foreign income as you are a Canadian tax resident.

Please take proper legal advice and understand the terms of your visa and ensure you have paid the needed taxes to CRA etc.., If any of you are aiming to take shortcuts to get additional points using these not legally sound mechanisms of foreign experience in parallel to Canadian work, I feel you will finally get into trouble with multiple Canadian agencies, fined or jailed and probably even barred from immigration.

Reactions: Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for your prompt reply! I still got some confuse,

"You just need at least one year of Canadian experience within last 3 years. " yeah for this part I am qualified.
" For foreign experience, it may count but not under FSW. " For this part, can I claim some points using foreign work experience under CEC category? is it case by case for the calculation for foreign work experience under CEC category. especially they are outside the past 3 years..
So you are double dipping with two jobs at the same time? What are the timelines? Does this foreign employer have Canadian offices/Canadian clients? You claimed both income with both jobs with CRA?

yuandom

Jun 11, 2023
So you are double dipping with two jobs at the same time? What are the timelines? Does this foreign employer have Canadian offices/Canadian clients? You claimed both income with both jobs with CRA?
Not double job, I am accumulating my Canada work experience right now and will get one year at the end of this year. Before coming to Canada, like 3 year ago at 2020, I have another work experience, just want to know if they are qualified for potential point claim.
My concern is only that, they are from 3 years ago; however, CEC requires you gain your work experience within the past 3 yeas. and i am not sure if this rule also applies foreign work experience.

Thanks,

Lord_Tony

Mar 7, 2023
Toronto
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-03-2023
AOR Received.
07-05-2023
Med's Done....
15-05-2023
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2023
IRCC asks for 10 years of work experience with the needed proof (experience letters, Paystubs etc..) and awards skills transferability points accordingly.

yuandom

Jun 11, 2023
IRCC asks for 10 years of work experience with the needed proof (experience letters, Paystubs etc..) and awards skills transferability points accordingly.
Thanks for the reply! If so my previous foreign work experience should be fine..