+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian woman, German boyfriend -spousal/common law sponsorship

agican

Nov 4, 2018
Hello Everyone, please let me know if you have any info on spousal/common law sponsorship.

I am a Canadian citizen and my partner is German, he lives in Germany, I live in Ontario. We are planning to get married in the near future, as soon as possible. We never lived together yet. My question is, what is the best/easiest/fastest way to sponsor him to Canada?

I saw that it's allowed to get married in Canada with a foreign national on a visitor visa, that is not a problem. We would then immediately apply for spousal sponsorship. What permit does he need to be able to stay longer than 6 months in Canada after marriage?

He has his own company in Germany so he can work from the computer online. Also, he would be living with me and I could support him financially while waiting for documents, put him on the lease of the apartment, car insurance, etc -if needed.

If we take the common law sponsorship route, how can he come and stay in Canada for one year for us to live together before applying?

He was married before with under age children who live solely with their Mom, they will not be coming to Canada with him. He has divorce papers in hand. What other supporting documents would he need of the children?

All answers would be really appreciated. Thank you

monkeys89

Aug 24, 2018
Category........
FAM
1. The "fastest" way is marriage, because then you do not need to live with him for 12 months to establish a common-law relationship. You can apply after you are married. If you have never lived together before, make sure you have additional evidence you can use to demonstrate the validity of the relationship.

2. If you decide to do common law application, he must stay with you for at least 12 months and live with you in a conjugal relationship. For him to stay for six additional months, he must apply for a visitor visa extension.

3. He will need to list his children as non-accompanying dependents in your application. They may be required to do medical examinations, even though they are not coming to Canada.

agican

Nov 4, 2018
1. The "fastest" way is marriage, because then you do not need to live with him for 12 months to establish a common-law relationship. You can apply after you are married. If you have never lived together before, make sure you have additional evidence you can use to demonstrate the validity of the relationship.

2. If you decide to do common law application, he must stay with you for at least 12 months and live with you in a conjugal relationship. For him to stay for six additional months, he must apply for a visitor visa extension.

3. He will need to list his children as non-accompanying dependents in your application. They may be required to do medical examinations, even though they are not coming to Canada.

Thank you so much for your reply. What additional evidence can we provide? Chat screen shots? We usually do video or voice call so not too many written evidence is there but obviously we know lots of details/info about each other, we can take video call screen shots as well, not sure what's required...

Does he need any birth certificates or anything of the children? Also what to do if their Mom doesn't allow the children to undergo a medical examination as they live solely with her and are not coming to Canada for sure? Can he write a statement that he is not going to sponsor them to Canada in the future?

Thank you

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you so much for your reply. What additional evidence can we provide? Chat screen shots? We usually do video or voice call so not too many written evidence is there but obviously we know lots of details/info about each other, we can take video call screen shots as well, not sure what's required...

Does he need any birth certificates or anything of the children? Also what to do if their Mom doesn't allow the children to undergo a medical examination as they live solely with her and are not coming to Canada for sure? Can he write a statement that he is not going to sponsor them to Canada in the future?

Thank you
Go through the checklist and guide to see what proofs are required.

Yes, he needs copies of their birth certificates and they will need to have medicals. If the mother has sole legal custody and refuses to allow the children to have medicals, he will need to document that. He will need a notarized declaration stating that he understands the children will be excluded from the Family Class and never be able to be sponsored. IRCC doesn't like excluding dependents, especially young children, so it will likely delay the app.

agican

Nov 4, 2018
I have some more questions regarding the application.
1. My boyfriend is coming to Canada in December just to spend Christmas with me and then he will go home to get all paperwork he needs for immigration and come back in Spring, then we would like to get married in Canada and apply for inland spousal sponsorship asap after to be able to live together finally. I can't find any info anywhere is there a time frame how long we have to be married before we apply to sponsor him?

2. When we marry, he will stay in Canada until he receives open permit and permanent residence but does he have to do medical exam in Canada? How does he get ohip if he is here as a visitor or we have to pay for all his medical exams here?

3. His dependent children are not accompanying him to Canada, they live with their Mom. He will put them in the application as non-accompanying. I understand they have to go through medical exam even if they don't come with him. Do we still have to pay the $150/child even if they are not coming to Canada?

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
March 27, 2017, July 10, 2017
AOR Received.
AOR 1:March 17 2017 AOR 2: May 10, 2017
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
He needs a medical REGARDLESS of where he is

Yes. Children MUST undergo medical as well regardless of if they are coming

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
1. You can apply when you receive your marriage certificate. The usually takes 1-2 months after marriage but you may be able to pay to get it faster. You'll have to speak to the municipality.
2. Yes he has must have a medical exam and so do his children. You will have to budget for these costs. He will not qualify for OHIP until AIP or PR depending on what you decide to do. He should get emergency health insurance and will have to pay for any non emergency care. He is only allowed to bring 90 days worth of medication with him.