+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian who left in 1970. Wants to come back with American wife.

klphoto77

Oct 6, 2009
Hi all. I am 50 years old with a Canadian birth certificate but I left Canada when I was 11.
I have never been employed in Canada and I want to move back and bring my American wife who has no previous ties to Canada.
I am just about to mail away my birth certificate to get my SIN card but thought I would check in here first to ask a couple of questions.
I am assuming as a citizen with a SIN card I will be immediately be able to work (once I find a job that is!)
Is getting my SIN card the first logical step? My passport is expired at the moment BTW.
My wife and I would not qualify for “Skilled worker status” but we will need her income, so what are the steps to get her eligible to work? Just as important how long will it take as we will be living off my income and our savings until she is.

Warmest Regards

Keith

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

klphoto77 said:
Hi all. I am 50 years old with a Canadian birth certificate but I left Canada when I was 11.
I have never been employed in Canada and I want to move back and bring my American wife who has no previous ties to Canada.
I am just about to mail away my birth certificate to get my SIN card but thought I would check in here first to ask a couple of questions.
I am assuming as a citizen with a SIN card I will be immediately be able to work (once I find a job that is!)
Is getting my SIN card the first logical step? My passport is expired at the moment BTW.
My wife and I would not qualify for “Skilled worker status” but we will need her income, so what are the steps to get her eligible to work? Just as important how long will it take as we will be living off my income and our savings until she is.

Warmest Regards

You are going to have to sponsor her as a family class Immigrant. As a Canadian you can do that while still residing outside Canada. You have to include a statement to effect as to what your plans are in regard to accommodation/work once your spouse is issued a visa. The applications and information is here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

PMM

Keith

I

ImmOfficer

Under the old Immigration Act, he may have lost his citizenship. Contact the nearest Canadian Consulate or Embassy and request a "Facilitation Visa" first to see if you are still a Canadian.

klphoto77

Oct 6, 2009
Thanks PMM for your response and link.

I am still a bit curious (and ignorant) about my rights as a Canadian citizen who has never actually lived or worked in Canada as an adult.
As a person who has always abided by all laws and been employed since college can I simply just cross the border and not get turned away?
Any advantage to me moving to Canada first then having my wife join me later?
Also does getting my SIN card as a 1st step make sense?

Thanks

Keith

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

ImmOfficer said:
Under the old Immigration Act, he may have lost his citizenship. Contact the nearest Canadian Consulate or Embassy and request a "Facilitation Visa" first to see if you are still a Canadian.
You can't lose your citizenship under the Immigration Act, as citizenship has always been under a separate Act. The only way the OP could have lost it was through a formal renunciation. Plus under C-36 anyone who lost their citizenship between 1947 and 1977 automatically had it restored on the 17th April 2009.

PMM