+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian PR while living in the US: two to build tax record with CRA?

jadecheee

Aug 17, 2020
Hi!

I'm eligible to apply to become a PR with the Federal Skilled Worker program, and thanks to the high number of points I score on the CERS (mainly due to having a PhD, eligible work experience, being fluent in English and French, and having a university degree from Canada).

I would like to apply and obtain PR, but will have to return to the U.S. for at least 1.5 years for work. I know I could wait to apply for PR until I am actually ready to move to Canada full time. But eventually I would like to sponsor my grandmother to come to Canada, and I know I need 3 years of tax records before I can do that. Plus, she is getting old and I'm worried that a health issue comes up that would make her ineligible for sponsorship.

Because of this, I would like to get PR asap rather than wait, and start building a tax record while living in the US.
I was wondering what the best way would be to start building a tax record in Canada even though I don't physically live there? I am able to purchase a small condo in Canada to maintain a place of residence while working in the US. Would I be able to work remotely for a Canadian company while living in the US, and declare that income to the Canadian tax agency? Is this something an immigration lawyer could help me with?

Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi!

I'm eligible to apply to become a PR with the Federal Skilled Worker program, and thanks to the high number of points I score on the CERS (mainly due to having a PhD, eligible work experience, being fluent in English and French, and having a university degree from Canada).

I would like to apply and obtain PR, but will have to return to the U.S. for at least 1.5 years for work. I know I could wait to apply for PR until I am actually ready to move to Canada full time. But eventually I would like to sponsor my grandmother to come to Canada, and I know I need 3 years of tax records before I can do that. Plus, she is getting old and I'm worried that a health issue comes up that would make her ineligible for sponsorship.

Because of this, I would like to get PR asap rather than wait, and start building a tax record while living in the US.
I was wondering what the best way would be to start building a tax record in Canada even though I don't physically live there? I am able to purchase a small condo in Canada to maintain a place of residence while working in the US. Would I be able to work remotely for a Canadian company while living in the US, and declare that income to the Canadian tax agency? Is this something an immigration lawyer could help me with?

Thank you!
Recommend you hire an immigration lawyer to assist you since this isn't a straight-forward question.

The following information may also help.

As a rule, financial resources must originate from Canadian sources. An officer can, however, consider income received from foreign sources if it was declared by the sponsor to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and appears on their Notice of Assessment (NOA). It is important to note that income abroad may not be a reliable indicator of future or stable employment in Canada. IRCC staff cannot easily verify if foreign income can be transferred to Canada and converting foreign income into Canadian dollars can be resource-intensive. In cases of default, collection and litigation, it is easier to recover income from Canadian sources.

Sponsors who commute from Canada to work in the U.S.A. can use their U.S. employment income provided it is declared as income to the CRA and appears on their NOA.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/non-economic-classes/family-class-assessing-sponsor.html

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi!

Thank you!
There are also going to be changes to the program especially who qualifies to apply after the past few years. Many people do not get selected with only 3 years of meeting LICO.