+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian PR travelling to US for work occasionally

Sammyjolpp

Apr 7, 2014
I wonder if anyone can help me? I have recently received my COPR from Canadian Immigraton and will be moving to Canada in January. My plan is to work for my current company in North America. I will be a remote worker based in Canada but will need to travel into the US for client visits fairly regularly.

Can I do this as a PR if I am based in Canada? Would my ESTA cover me for this or will I need a different visa?

Many Thanks in advance

chappan

Star Member
May 30, 2012
When you say North America, do you mean the USA? North America is a continent, not a country. There are four countries in North America, i.e. United States, Canada, Greenland and Mexico.

Assuming that you need to travel to the US as a Canadian PR, yes you'll need a different visa. If the purpose of your visit to the US will be work then you'll need a work visa which your employer will have to sponsor. It would either be L1B visa which is intra-company transfer or H1B visa (assuming your profession falls under "highly skilled" category which consists of mostly IT people). If the purpose will only be client meetings, knowledge transfer, etc. then you'll only need B1/B2 visa which is Business/Tourism. Having stated that, I don't think you need to worry about it. Your employer would know about whichever visa is required and will help you get that. You can apply for B1/B2 on your own (with solid proof of purpose of visit) but L1 or H1 visa has to be applied/sponsored by your employer.

FYI.. you can travel to the US without requiring any visa only after you become a Canadian citizen.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Sammyjolpp

Apr 7, 2014
chappan said:
When you say North America, do you mean the USA? North America is a continent, not a country. There are four countries in North America, i.e. United States, Canada, Greenland and Mexico.

Assuming that you need to travel to the US as a Canadian PR, yes you'll need a different visa. If the purpose of your visit to the US will be work then you'll need a work visa which your employer will have to sponsor. It would either be L1B visa which is intra-company transfer or H1B visa (assuming your profession falls under "highly skilled" category which consists of mostly IT people). If the purpose will only be client meetings, knowledge transfer, etc. then you'll only need B1/B2 visa which is Business/Tourism. Having stated that, I don't think you need to worry about it. Your employer would know about whichever visa is required and will help you get that. You can apply for B1/B2 on your own (with solid proof of purpose of visit) but L1 or H1 visa has to be applied/sponsored by your employer.

FYI.. you can travel to the US without requiring any visa only after you become a Canadian citizen.

Hope this helps! Good luck!
Thank you so much for the response - I have sent all that to my employer so that they can figure out which route is best :)