+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Marriage, TRP and pregnant!

Smarton

Aug 27, 2012
Hi everyone! :)

I'm a newbie here.

I tried applying under the Canadian Experience Class, as I have studied and worked in Canada. However, my work experience fell outside the 2 year window that is needed for the application.

Then I got pregnant.

My most recent entry into Canada was Dec 29, 2011 and I was granted a TRP that will expire Jan 13, 2013. I have been with my partner for almost 4 years. When we found out about the baby, we decided to get married. So we had a civil ceremony in Ottawa earlier this month and he will be sponsoring me as his spouse.

My questions are:

- I'm British, so I plan on applying as an "outland", because the processing time is shorter, and as a Brit, I can stay here with my TRP (which hopefully will get renewed, as my due date is January 31, 2013...!!! and I want to have my baby in Canada, with my husband present). Can I use the address that CIC has on file for me - which is my Canada address - if I'm applying as an "outland spouse"? On the CIC website it says that I can come and go as I please, since I'm from a "visa exempt" country.. but can I keep the address as my Canadian one?

- After the "eligibility review" can I then take that letter and apply for OHIP? We've already spent a small fortune on medical costs, and I'm still a little under halfway through my pregnancy. While we are prepared for the cost of the baby's birth, it would be much better if we didn't have to pay $10,000. I'm hoping the eligibility thing will come in quickly.. :s

- Also, I noticed in the guide, it states:

If you are married

You can sponsor the person as your spouse if your marriage is a legally valid civil marriage. If your spouse is of the:

- opposite sex and your marriage took place outside Canada, the marriage must be valid both under the laws of the jurisdiction where it took place and under Canadian law;
- same sex, the marriage will be recognized for immigration purposes, where the marriage:
was legally performed in Canada, or
if performed outside of Canada, the marriage must be legally recognized according to both the law of the place where the marriage occurred and under Canadian law.
So does this mean that since our marriage took place INSIDE Canada, that I am not able to apply as an outland person? Which seems strange, as this is not the case for same-sex marriages..?!

- And finally.. :) Will the London office need my passport? I realise that I may have to go home for an interview, but if they have my passport, will they keep it for a long time?

I really appreciate any help or advice any of you can provide.
Good luck with all of your applications! :)

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Hey!

Welcome to the forum - I just answered your post in the UK thread, so you can go there and check - if you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask!
Cheers,
Sweden