+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CANADIAN citizenship and US green card

• Thread starter Deleted member 103187
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 103187

Hi I live in a border city in Canada and commute to work in the US. I recently applied for citizenship here in Canada. Since I work in the US currently on H1b, I am thinking of applying for a green card to improve employment options in the future.
Question is will applying for a green card affect my citizenship application in any way. I still plan to live in Canada and work in the US even after getting Canadian citizenship and the green card

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi I live in a border city in Canada and commute to work in the US. I recently applied for citizenship here in Canada. Since I work in the US currently on H1b, I am thinking of applying for a green card to improve employment options in the future.
Question is will applying for a green card affect my citizenship application in any way. I still plan to live in Canada and work in the US even after getting Canadian citizenship and the green card
No issues from a Canadian perspective. Long term you will likely risk losing green card status (unless you actually move to the U.S.) since the U.S. expects you to be living in the U.S. to retain it.

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
Scylla is right; if you get a green card, you're pretty much expected to eventually get US citizenship or else you'll lose the green card.

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/maintaining-permanent-residence

"Abandoning Permanent Resident Status

You may also lose your permanent resident status by intentionally abandoning it. You may be found to have abandoned your status if you:
  • Move to another country, intending to live there permanently. "

D

Deleted member 103187

Scylla is right; if you get a green card, you're pretty much expected to eventually get US citizenship or else you'll lose the green card.

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/maintaining-permanent-residence

"Abandoning Permanent Resident Status

You may also lose your permanent resident status by intentionally abandoning it. You may be found to have abandoned your status if you:
  • Move to another country, intending to live there permanently. "
Thank you for your reply. Correct me if I’m wrong but I could actually apply to get a “commuter green card” and still live in Canada without ever loosing the green card. Only downside is that time spent on the commuter green card does not count towards US citizenship if I eventually decide to go that route

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your reply. Correct me if I’m wrong but I could actually apply to get a “commuter green card” and still live in Canada without ever loosing the green card. Only downside is that time spent on the commuter green card does not count towards US citizenship if I eventually decide to go that route
Yes - that's available. There are a number of limitations / requirements that come with this status - and you would also want to be single if you go this route (i.e. no partner or children).

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
§211.5 Alien commuters
Yeah, but you won't get any of the benefits of a true permanent resident. And if your employment ends in the US and are not able to find another job in the US in 6 months, then you'll lose your commuter green card too.

frange

May 25, 2018
I would say, apply for the real green card by the time to process it, you will be a Canadian citizen which means you will have more option.
Don't go through the commute green Card since it is so restrictive in terms opportunity for you and your family.

mastersboy

Star Member
Oct 20, 2014
Does anyone here know how often one is required to travel to the job in US on a minimum to keep the commuter green card status?

I have a full time job offer in US asking me to travel up to 40% to the US. Do I qualify for a commuter green card?

Inviting @ozonezone234 @scylla @frange @hawk39 to answer. Thanks!