+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

canadian citizen sponsoring spouse who is an international student

rizman26

Mar 16, 2015
I am a canadian citizen who got married to an international student in Feb,2015. since my wife is an international student and lives with me in Canada,I have heard that international students need to keep themselves in status until they get their PR. I am sponsoring her under family category next month.
Last week we found out that my wife is pregnant and is due in October 2015. under these circumstances she wont be able to take her upcoming fall semester and possibly spring semester too. now once she drops her semester due to the birth of the baby, will it effect her student status in Canada?. also what are her options as I feel that it would be hard for her to continue full time studies after the baby is born. currently she is a full time student. is there a way that she can change her student visa into a visitor one until her immigration case gets a decision.

Please do respond
Thanks

birdboy008

Feb 28, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-06-2014
AOR Received.
08-08-2014
Definitely apply for an Open Work Permit (OWP) and send this WITH your PR application. Make sure to apply for both of these before her current study permit expires (very important). The OWP will give her status and lets her work. I would think that having the option to work is well worth the small fee to apply for the OWP.

Good luck!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
birdboy008 said:
Definitely apply for an Open Work Permit (OWP) and send this WITH your PR application. Make sure to apply for both of these before her current study permit expires (very important). The OWP will give her status and lets her work. I would think that having the option to work is well worth the small fee to apply for the OWP.
To clarify, including an OWP app is only an option when submitting an inland application. A person in Canada can choose whether to apply inland or outland.

hshi

Star Member
Jun 15, 2013
make sure her provincial insurance is valid through pregnancy. You do not want to end up paying off the medical services. These expenses will have you bankrupted in no time...
rizman26 said:
I am a canadian citizen who got married to an international student in Feb,2015. since my wife is an international student and lives with me in Canada,I have heard that international students need to keep themselves in status until they get their PR. I am sponsoring her under family category next month.
Last week we found out that my wife is pregnant and is due in October 2015. under these circumstances she wont be able to take her upcoming fall semester and possibly spring semester too. now once she drops her semester due to the birth of the baby, will it effect her student status in Canada?. also what are her options as I feel that it would be hard for her to continue full time studies after the baby is born. currently she is a full time student. is there a way that she can change her student visa into a visitor one until her immigration case gets a decision.

Please do respond
Thanks

natodincan

Oct 6, 2014
Re: work permit for outland?

Hi there,

I just wanted to clarify something. My husband is American and we applied outland for him to come to Canada. Is it true he is not eligible to work until he receives PR? Or is it just that he can't obtain an open work permit? Can he apply for a closed one if he has a prospective employer? Can he go to school in Canada and stay with me while we await for his approval for PR? I have already been approved as his sponsor.

Thanks!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Re: work permit for outland?

natodincan said:
I just wanted to clarify something. My husband is American and we applied outland for him to come to Canada. Is it true he is not eligible to work until he receives PR? Or is it just that he can't obtain an open work permit? Can he apply for a closed one if he has a prospective employer? Can he go to school in Canada and stay with me while we await for his approval for PR? I have already been approved as his sponsor.
He cannot get an OWP. To apply for a closed work permit, he needs a job offer from an employer with an LMIA. If his profession is listed in NAFTA, he can apply for a work permit without an LMIA.

As a visitor, he can take a course that is less than 6 months without needing a study permit. If the course is longer, he needs a study permit; this requires acceptance to an educational institute and showing significant proof of funds