+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian citizen got married to an international student from Pakistan

rizman26

Mar 16, 2015
I am a Canadian citizen who got married to an international student from Pakistan in Feb,2015. since my wife is an international student and lives with me in Canada, I am sponsoring her under family category(in Canada) next month. She has a 4 years student visa which expires in Dec 2019 and also have the provincial health insurance.

we found out last week that she is pregnant and we are expecting in October 2015.
under these circumstances she wont be able to take her upcoming fall semester and possibly spring semester too. now once she drops her semester due to the birth of the baby, will it effect her student status in Canada? Does she has to notify CIC or her university right away?

we need help here as I am not able to find anything online, what are our options now?

Is there a way that she can change her student visa into a visitor while she stays in Canada until her immigration (spousal sponsor) case gets a decision.
and if she changes her status will she be able to work and get health care?

we need somewhere to start

Please do respond
Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Once your wife has been out of school for more than 90 days her study permit will be automatically canceled and she will no longer have status in Canada. If she plans to drop out of school, she will need to change her status to something other than student before the 90 days passes. Yes - she can certainly apply to change her status to visitor - but no, this won't allow her to work. Visitors do not normally qualify for provincial health care - although some provinces do make certain exceptions.

If I were in your shoes, I would submit an inland spousal sponsorship application as soon as you can together with an open work permit.

Note that in order for her sponsorship application to be finalized, she must pass a complete medical (including an x-ray). Most doctors advise against having the x-ray done while someone is pregnant since this can harm the unborn child. This means that she won't be able to complete her PR process until after the baby is born.

rizman26

Mar 16, 2015
thanks Scylla

now i will submit her sponsorship application next week i am waiting for her police certificate. she will have 4 month break as her semester finishes in couple weeks.
now does she qualifies to get an open work permit and if so under what criteria? and does that changes her status in canada too
or do I have to apply for change her status to visitor?