+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CANADIAN APPLYING FOR UK RESIDENCY, HELP

jonesoboneso

Jan 30, 2010
Hello, I have had great help from these forums in the past and they help me get to Canada, which is where I am right now. I am British born male with a Canadian spouse. I am here on family class sponsor visa (spouse). Everything is going great but how would we go about getting my spouse the same visa for the UK?

I am able to apply for Canadian citizenship after Jan 2014, would we have to wait until then to apply and is she able to apply from Canada. She has already had a UK working holiday visa, which is how we met. And we married in the UK but did not apply for her residency visa at the time as we were leaving for Canada and applying for my visa.

Is there a type of visa we can go for and are there any restrictions that people know of?

Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this topic

Thanks in advance,

Chris

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

jonesoboneso said:
Hello, I have had great help from these forums in the past and they help me get to Canada, which is where I am right now. I am British born male with a Canadian spouse. I am here on family class sponsor visa (spouse). Everything is going great but how would we go about getting my spouse the same visa for the UK?

I am able to apply for Canadian citizenship after Jan 2014, would we have to wait until then to apply and is she able to apply from Canada. She has already had a UK working holiday visa, which is how we met. And we married in the UK but did not apply for her residency visa at the time as we were leaving for Canada and applying for my visa.

Is there a type of visa we can go for and are there any restrictions that people know of?

Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this topic

Thanks in advance,

Chris
Post your questions in this forum, better chance for answers: http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
To secure your status in Canada, it is better to get citizenship. Theoretically you can keep your PR forever as long as you are living with your spouse but having citizenship is of course nicer. The UK allows dual so why not? If you must live in the UK to sponsor her for a UK visa, you should wait until after you have applied for citizenship in Canada. Then you can leave but keep an address in Canada for immigration and be ready to jump on a plane when you get called to appear for test or oath.

Londonlady31

May 15, 2012
Hi,

I am british girl and dating a Canadian guy, we plan to marry soon but I live in the UK and he lives in Vancouver. I am just curious to see that if your partners sponsored you did that mean you were able to work over there and how long did it take for you to get your visa after getting married?

Good luck with your wifes visa for the UK.

Thanks,

Jen

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Londonlady31 said:
Hi,

I am british girl and dating a Canadian guy, we plan to marry soon but I live in the UK and he lives in Vancouver. I am just curious to see that if your partners sponsored you did that mean you were able to work over there and how long did it take for you to get your visa after getting married?

Good luck with your wifes visa for the UK.

Thanks,

Jen
Applying through London it would in most cases take no more than 6-9 months to get permanent residency. Once you have permanent residency, you have the right to live and work in Canada.

Londonlady31

May 15, 2012
Thank you Leon, so after we marry it would be best advised to move back to the UK and apply there? also while my PR is being processed can I vist Canada?

Thanks for your help.

Jen