+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian and USA green card spouse want to stay in Canada

Pusha

Jul 19, 2013
I am a Canadian Citizen and on H1B visa in USA and my wife came from her home country on a H4 visa. her USA green card (PR) was approved and she is now free to come in and out of Canada with me for a period of 6 months at a time. We recently took permission and were granted 1 year of travel time to Canada from US immigration.

We would like to stay in Canada now since my family and most connections are there and were wondering how we would go about doing that. I know I have to apply for PR but I have some questions

How long will it take
will it be approved?
documents needed?
any other info please provide

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
Pusha said:
I am a Canadian Citizen and on H1B visa in USA and my wife came from her home country on a H4 visa. her USA green card (PR) was approved and she is now free to come in and out of Canada with me for a period of 6 months at a time. We recently took permission and were granted 1 year of travel time to Canada from US immigration.

We would like to stay in Canada now since my family and most connections are there and were wondering how we would go about doing that. I know I have to apply for PR but I have some questions

How long will it take
will it be approved?
documents needed?

You can get
any other info please provide
You basically have two choices:

1) An in-Canada or "inland" application to sponsor your wife. You can only do this if you live in Canada with her during the entire process. It takes 10-19 months in most cases to receive permanent residence. In routine cases, you receive "approval in principle" after about 6 months. This will allow her to receive a work or study permit.

2) An overseas or "outland" application. This takes about 8 to 13 months for U.S. residents. There are no restrictions on where you or she can live. However, if you are in Canada, you will need to renew her visitor status periodically.

You need to submit application forms, a marriage certificate, a medical form, police certificates, and proof that your relationship is genuine (not to facilitate entry into Canada), as well as other documents. For most people, the most difficult part is collecting all the documents to prove the relationship is real.

For more information about the process, visit the Canadian government website:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse.asp