Manilla
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-11-12
File Transfer...
22-01-13
Hi everyone,

My wife is now staying with me in Canada waiting for her PR family visa. She is Japanese so didn't need any special visa but her 90 days is now running out. Is there a way to cross into the States and come back on another 90-day stamp. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

muffy1

Feb 21, 2012
I'm not sure if this will help but since I am a US Citizen and we are visa exempt, as well, I thought I'd share. Though, I'm sure someone else can confirm for you. I was in your situation many times in the past and what I did was drive to the border, cross into the US, cross right back into Canada and apply for and other times extend a visitor's record (and it doesn't cost anything). I would bring proof with me, for example, if I received any communications from CIC/VO, etc to show them we were in the middle of processing. I never had any problems, not once. However, this is only my experience.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
The standard is 6 months; did they say at the border why they only gave her 90 days?

Anyways, you can cross the US border and come back (this is called flagpoling) but it is better to just pay the $75 and extend her stay online. Tell her to ask for a year and show proof that there is a PR app in progress.

Tomorisu

Apr 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-Dec-'12
AOR Received.
21-Jan-'13
Med's Done....
02-Nov-'12
LANDED..........
28-Nov-'13
jktokyo said:
Hi everyone,

My wife is now staying with me in Canada waiting for her PR family visa. She is Japanese so didn't need any special visa but her 90 days is now running out. Is there a way to cross into the States and come back on another 90-day stamp. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Hello. ''Her 90 days is now running out.'' means that she is out of status now? When did she come to Canada? If her status as a visitor has been lost, but it is within 90 days, she can apply for 'Restoration'.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5551ETOC.asp

If her status is still valid, she can apply for an extension.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp

If she has been out of status over 90 days, I'm sorry, I don't know what she should do.