+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can you change an Open Work Permit to a Closed Work Permit?

May 27, 2021
We have recently moved to Canada. My wife is working on a Open Work Permit, while I am the primary applicant working on a closed work permit. Due to certain unforeseen situation I need to look out for another job.

I wanted to know the process of changing my wife's Open Work Permit to a Closed Work Permit ?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
What does you looking for a job have to do with her changing work permits? Does she have a job offer with LMIA? If so she can apply for a closed work permit. You may then be eligible for a open permit but not guaranteed.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
We have recently moved to Canada. My wife is working on a Open Work Permit, while I am the primary applicant working on a closed work permit. Due to certain unforeseen situation I need to look out for another job.

I wanted to know the process of changing my wife's Open Work Permit to a Closed Work Permit ?
Your wife's employer needs to get an approved LMIA - then she can apply for a closed work permit.

May 27, 2021
What does you looking for a job have to do with her changing work permits? Does she have a job offer with LMIA? If so she can apply for a closed work permit. You may then be eligible for a open permit but not guaranteed.
Thanks. I need to check on the LMIA part.
Your first question is very valid, I am not sure on the validity of my work permit in case I do not have a job, Is there a timeframe that I can stay in an unfortunate scenario. Hence pondering the option of changing her work permit, so that the entire family is not impacted.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks. I need to check on the LMIA part.
Your first question is very valid, I am not sure on the validity of my work permit in case I do not have a job, Is there a timeframe that I can stay in an unfortunate scenario. Hence pondering the option of changing her work permit, so that the entire family is not impacted.
You can stay in Canada, if your closed work permit is valid but cannot work. You would need a new LMIA and closed work permit. Your wife is on an open work permit, so can work.