+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can work experience as a freelancer be troublesome for Student Visa

Jun 22, 2019
Hi everyone,

I got selected in a one year course in Toronto for this September intake but my Visa was rejected on the following grounds - • I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.

I got into Humber college and I passed out of my graduation in 2015. Since then I worked 1-year full time in an MNC and since then I was working as a freelance digital marketer and as a freelance marketing consultant. A friend of mine today said that the reason why my visa got refused is because of my work experience as a freelancer. (I submitted all my revenue bills and tax returns as well).

Is it true that freelancers do not get student visa based on their work experience? Is there a freelancer here who got his/her student visa based on that work experience.

Background information -

Graduation - BBA - Ist Division - 2015 (No backlogs) 7 Pointer
IELTS - 7.5 overall band
Work experience- 4 years total
Course Applied - Marketing Management (1 Year)

I am waiting for my GCMS notes but I am unsure if applying again for a Visa would be worth it. If anyone has any information related to the same issue, kindly let me know.

Last edited:

-user-name-

Apr 13, 2019
Hi, sorry to hear about that. I don’t know whether freelancers are rejected or not, but i would suggest u to apply again as I’ve seen many people who got approved even after 3 rejections. Can u tell when did u apply for humber n when did u got the offer letter?

ismailel

Star Member
Dec 29, 2018
Agadir, Morocco
It is still paid work, and you should have references from one or more of your anchor clients. I recently applied for the study permit and my work experience is all freelance, I tried my best to explain it in the SOP and included references and payments documents in the client information file.
I will update this if I get a final decision on my application.

I would say the refusal is due to something else, if you already have a bachelor degree you would have better chances with masters programs, or possibly an advanced post-degree diploma or certificate. Make sure you work on a strong SOP if you choose to reapply.

Jun 22, 2019
Hi, sorry to hear about that. I don’t know whether freelancers are rejected or not, but i would suggest u to apply again as I’ve seen many people who got approved even after 3 rejections. Can u tell when did u apply for humber n when did u got the offer letter?
I applied around December and got my offer letter by Feb.

hhaider

Apr 4, 2020
It is still paid work, and you should have references from one or more of your anchor clients. I recently applied for the study permit and my work experience is all freelance, I tried my best to explain it in the SOP and included references and payments documents in the client information file.

I would say the refusal is due to something else, if you already have a bachelor degree you would have better chances with masters programs, or possibly an advanced post-degree diploma or certificate. Make sure you work on a strong SOP if you choose to reapply.
Hello Ismail, I hope you got your study permit. I just wanted to see if you are still around here on the forums, it would be great to get your guidance since I am in the same boat working as a Freelancer and need some help writing my SOP. Please reply back if you are around, I would really appreciate your help. Can we exchange email/phone numbers? Thanks!

Ylover207

Star Member
Aug 6, 2020
Hello Ismail, I hope you got your study permit. I just wanted to see if you are still around here on the forums, it would be great to get your guidance since I am in the same boat working as a Freelancer and need some help writing my SOP. Please reply back if you are around, I would really appreciate your help. Can we exchange email/phone numbers? Thanks!
Hello
How are you
Could you get your study permit ?
As I was working as freelancer from 2014-2017 but I have no tax declaration .

Vg24

Mar 23, 2022

Hi did you get a reply on your application?