+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can we create prenup or marriage contract after marriage and after sponsorship application?

irafikov

Jun 26, 2014
Hi Forum,

Me and my wife want to create a prenup or a marriage contract. As we are very busy with wedding and collecting documents for immigration, we are thinking to create and sign a prenup or a marriage contract after we married.

Can we create prenup or marriage contract after marriage and after we submitted sponsorship application?

Please let us know.

Thank you!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi Forum,

Me and my wife want to create a prenup or a marriage contract. As we are very busy with wedding and collecting documents for immigration, we are thinking to create and sign a prenup or a marriage contract after we married.

Can we create prenup or marriage contract after marriage and after we submitted sponsorship application?

Please let us know.

Thank you!
A "prenup" is something that you do BEFORE you get married, and I am not sure if it's even enforceable in Canada.

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

irafikov

Jun 26, 2014
A "prenup" is something that you do BEFORE you get married, and I am not sure if it's even enforceable in Canada.

What exactly are you trying to achieve?
I am not very familiar with these terms. Basically my wife and I want to create a marriage contract as in what will happen with our assets if we are to divorce. Our question is can we do it after we will get married and submit our application for her immigration? The reason why we want to do it after is we are just to busy to worry about this right now.

DollyM

Jul 6, 2016
Middle of Nowhere, Perth, Western Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2016
Doc's Request.
29-07-2016
AOR Received.
02-09-2016
File Transfer...
31 August 2016
Med's Done....
25-07-2016
I am not very familiar with these terms. Basically my wife and I want to create a marriage contract as in what will happen with our assets if we are to divorce. Our question is can we do it after we will get married and submit our application for her immigration? The reason why we want to do it after is we are just to busy to worry about this right now.
You can create whatever document you like. However, it may not be legal in Canada, or more specifically the province you live in. Divorce settlement terms are set by the courts and if you have a contract that is not fair and equitable to both parties it may be struck down by the courts.

Reactions: irafikov

irafikov

Jun 26, 2014
You can create whatever document you like. However, it may not be legal in Canada, or more specifically the province you live in. Divorce settlement terms are set by the courts and if you have a contract that is not fair and equitable to both parties it may be struck down by the courts.
That's what I thought too. TY +1

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
That's what I thought too. TY +1
Also keep in mind that a prenup will not protect the sponsor from being financially responsible for the applicant for three years after they land in Canada and become a PR. If they break up / divorce and the applicant goes on social assistance anytime within three years of landing and becoming a PR, the sponsor will be responsible for paying this money back to the government.

irafikov

Jun 26, 2014
Also keep in mind that a prenup will not protect the sponsor from being financially responsible for the applicant for three years after they land in Canada and become a PR. If they break up / divorce and the applicant goes on social assistance anytime within three years of landing and becoming a PR, the sponsor will be responsible for paying this money back to the government.
Thank you for that's good to know. I appreciate all your great points. Have a wonderful weekend guys! +1

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You can speak to a lawyer about creating a postnup but it is much harder to often come to some form of understanding if you are married. Not related to immigration or the terms of your immigration or sponsorship. This is really a family law issue.

Last edited: