+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can we apply for Visitor Visa if PGWP expired?

SSGarg

Mar 30, 2024
Hi everyone, I have a some very important questions: 1) Can I apply for visitor visa inside Canada if my work permit has been already expired and I have applied for work permit extension (maintained status) before my work permit expiration. Do we need valid work permit to apply for Visitor Visa inside Canada?
2) If I got my TRV as a visitor with stamped passport after I got my PGWP, then do I need to apply to change my category from worker to visitor after my PGWP expires or it automatically changes?
3) If my wife has also applied for work permit extension before her work permit expiration, and if her work permit extension rejected and then if she doesn't have valid work permit then can she apply for visitor visa inside Canada or should she apply for restoration of status?
Please help seniors!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone, I have a some very important questions: 1) Can I apply for visitor visa inside Canada if my work permit has been already expired and I have applied for work permit extension (maintained status) before my work permit expiration. Do we need valid work permit to apply for Visitor Visa inside Canada?
2) If I got my TRV as a visitor with stamped passport after I got my PGWP, then do I need to apply to change my category from worker to visitor after my PGWP expires or it automatically changes?
3) If my wife has also applied for work permit extension before her work permit expiration, and if her work permit extension rejected and then if she doesn't have valid work permit then can she apply for visitor visa inside Canada or should she apply for restoration of status?
Please help seniors!
1) A TRV does not give you status in Canada. You would need to apply for a visitor record. However since your work permit has already expired, it's too late at this point to apply for the visitor record. You'll have to see if the work permit extension is approved. If it is refused, then you apply to restore your status and to change your status to a visitor reord.
2) You need to apply for a visitor record otherwise you fall out of status in Canada. The TRV doesn't help you.
3) No, she does not apply for a TRV. She needs to apply to restore her status and to change her status to a visitor record.

SSGarg

Mar 30, 2024
Thankyou so much @scylla for your response. Could you please guide how to apply for a Restoration of status as a visitor record? Or could you please forward an appropriate youtube video link here for the reference. Thanks again!!!