+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can this be done?

hamid84

Mar 2, 2008
I am currently in UK as asylum seeker and have lived here for 7 years without any decision.

I would like to know if by any chance, i can apply for canada immigration from UK. I am 25 now and married.

Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

hamid84 said:
I am currently in UK as asylum seeker and have lived here for 7 years without any decision.

I would like to know if by any chance, i can apply for canada immigration from UK. I am 25 now and married.

Thanks
Only if you were legally admitted to the UK for 1 year can you apply to London, otherwise you have to apply to the CHC that processes your home country's applications

PMM

hamid84

Mar 2, 2008
Hi,

I am still legal in UK.. my case is pending.. since it hasnt been decided for over 7 years, i dont wish to waste any more time and would like to apply for canada immigration.

Problem is that i can't go back to my home country ( Pakistan ) while i am seeking asylum.

any further advice?

Thanks

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
There is a difference between being admitted legally for 1 year, and being allow to remain in-country while your asylum case is pending.

If you were never officially admitted to the UK for at least 1 year, then you'll need to apply through Islamabad.

hamid84

Mar 2, 2008
Hi,

I did not get that. As i am on asylum so isnt that mean i have been admitted to live in UK until my case is resolved?

I am also married and wife is on student visa in UK. Is there any way we both can apply for canada immigration while we are in UK??

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
How did you enter the UK? That is the question.

Did you enter illegally or on a tourist visa and then apply for asylum? If so, you'll have to apply through Islamabad.

If you entered the UK on a work visa and then applied for asylum, that's different. The work visa will be for at least 1 year and qualifies.

The requirements are only for the principal applicant. So your wife (at least) is eligible to apply from the UK, providing she qualifies as a skilled worker.

You and your wife should both fill-out the online skilled worker application to see who qualifies:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/assess/index.asp

hamid84

Mar 2, 2008
I entered UK with visitor visa and then claimed asylum along my family. I think i will not qualify for skilled workder program as i have only got A Levels in IT.

Due to the restrictions, i can't study further until case is resolved.

My wife has done graduation from Pakistan. Since nothing is sorted in UK so far, i wanted to know alternative way to settling down some where.

I also heard that if any of your relative can sponser you from Canada, you can go there.

My problem is that it's hard for me to go back to Pakistan due to asylum case.

Any further help will be appreciated.

Thanks so far

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
It sounds like your wife would be the most likely to be qualified as a skilled worker. Have her take the online assessment.

If she qualifies, she can sponsor you and your kids.

hamid84

Mar 2, 2008
Thanks alot for help. It's making me happy now and i can see ray of hope somewhere.

I can also arrange people who can sponser us from Canada. Will ask her to go for test as you suggested.

Since she is in UK on student Visa, wont it be hard for her to apply for Canada Visa?? Any suggestion?

Thanks

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
I'm not sure what you mean by people in Canada who can sponsor you. If you have relatives in Canada, it's likely the most they can do is increase the number of points your wife has for qualification. But they can't actually "sponsor" you.

No, it won't be hard for her to apply from the UK.

Start reading here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca

hamid84

Mar 2, 2008
Thanks Thaiguy.

Her uncle sponsored her from Pakistan so if she applies from UK, who will sponsor her? Atleast i cant due to my status.