+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can spouse apply for dependent visa while my PR application (self) is in process?

Marc B

Apr 16, 2024
Winnipeg
Category........
WP
Requesting guidance - Am on a closed work permit and visa is valid till Jul 2026. My PR application (only self, express entry) is in process. Meanwhile, Can Spouse apply for a dependent visa from outside Canada, based on my existing Work Permit and visa validity? In that case, would that impact a decision on my PR application? Assuming dependent visa is approved first, what would happen to the validity of the dependent visa when my Visa status changes from closed WP to PR?

Apr 24, 2024
Requesting guidance - Am on a closed work permit and visa is valid till Jul 2026. My PR application (only self, express entry) is in process. Meanwhile, Can Spouse apply for a dependent visa from outside Canada, based on my existing Work Permit and visa validity? In that case, would that impact a decision on my PR application? Assuming dependent visa is approved first, what would happen to the validity of the dependent visa when my Visa status changes from closed WP to PR? Doglikesbest
Hello,

Your spouse can apply for a dependent visa while your PR application is in process, and it should not impact the decision on your PR application. If the dependent visa is approved before your PR, your spouse's visa status would need to be adjusted after you receive PR status. It's advisable to consult with an immigration lawyer or a consultant for personalized guidance.

Last edited: