+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can someone tell me if I can apply

paulo99

Dec 21, 2013
I have lived in Canada for 7 years and I am a PR. I has met the residency obligation but I just moved back home for a year. Can I submit my application for citizenship even though i'm living back in my home nation? I plan to spend a year with my family and return.

Thanks for your help

mda201701

Mar 3, 2017
I think you cannot apply. One of the requirements is that you live in Canada more than half a year in each the relevant residence years. You'd better check the requirements yourself.

alexchristi

Sep 8, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5th july 2011
AOR Received.
PER 8th sept.2011
IELTS Request
on file
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
05. Oct. 2012
VISA ISSUED...
24. 10. 2012
LANDED..........
08.dec.2012
It is a tricky situation.

Lets say that you apply in the next 30 days. By the time you get to the test and interview another 3-4 months will pass and you are out of the country for about 6 month.
The officer has to pass you not just on knowledge and language but he has to establish that you have the intend to reside in Canada. This will be hard to prove as you are living outside the Country for the last 6 months.
I think that it is at the officers discretion if you will pass or fail the interview.

I would recommend to apply and to stay in Canada at least until you pass the interview stage.

Good luck 8)

rrajendra

Star Member
Mar 10, 2017
paulo99 said:
I have lived in Canada for 7 years and I am a PR. I has met the residency obligation but I just moved back home for a year. Can I submit my application for citizenship even though i'm living back in my home nation? I plan to spend a year with my family and return.

Thanks for your help
Yes, based on the information you shared, you can apply! Do remember, you will have to appear for test/Interview/Oath in person, and, all these can happen within 3-6 months from the day of application. Besides, an application from abroad can also trigger a residence questionnaire which can delay the whole process. Please make judicious decision, applying while you are abroad should be avoided if possible...

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
paulo99 said:

Thanks for your help
You qualify for citizenship however you are expected to be residing in Canada when you submit your application. CIC will simply return your application on account that it has been post marked outside Canada. Once you submitted your application, you are again expected to reside in Canada during the citizenship process. You cannot simply submit your application in Canada and then leave Canada for a year.