+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can someone come back for visiting after have given up refugee status?

Cms123

Aug 1, 2017
Hello,
My father came to Canada in 2009 and asked for refugee due to a particular situatiom in our country. After a while the situation changed back home so he gave up his process to become a refugee and was asked to leave Canada within 30 days. In which case he did.
My question is : are there any chances Canada won't let him in of he decides to visit?

I will be getting married in Canada and I'd like my father to assist to my wedding

We are originally from Chile and as child and we do not require a visa to enter Canada.
I will appreciate any help.
Thanks.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Even if visa-exempt, he would need to apply for an eTA to board a plane to Canada. Due to the previous refugee claim, there is a very high chance the eTA will be rejected which will block him from flying directly to Canada

Or even if eTA is approved or he tried to enter via USA/Canada land border, there could be a high chance of rejection from CBSA. He would need to bring tons of proof of his ties to Chile to show he plans to return, and that the original reason for claiming refugee status no longer applies. If they have any suspicion he will claim asylum while in Canada, he would be denied entry.

There is no guaranteed answer here, so all he can do is try. First step is applying for eTA and seeing what happens.