+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can someone abandon their refugee application?

Juser

Jun 1, 2024
Hello everyone,

I am asking this question for a friend.

My friend submitted refugee claim via the portal few months ago with a help of a lawyer. He Still didn’t get a date for interview. Now fearing for his rest of the family back home, he wants to leave Canada. His passport is still with him as non of his documents are seized yet. Anyone knows the procedure that he needs to take? Please advise. Thank you.

broccoli13

Star Member
Jul 19, 2024
I am not sure, I think he needs to contact IRRC but he should think twice before any actions. He would likely never get a Canadian, American nor Australian visas, as well as his family members. And last but least not getting an interview in couple of months is actually normal. Why did he claim asylum in the first place if he was going to regret it even before the interview, people should understand how big claiming asylum is and it should be done if you are in genuine danger or fear of danger. Take care man.

Juser

Jun 1, 2024
I am not sure, I think he needs to contact IRRC but he should think twice before any actions. He would likely never get a Canadian, American nor Australian visas, as well as his family members. And last but least not getting an interview in couple of months is actually normal. Why did he claim asylum in the first place if he was going to regret it even before the interview, people should understand how big claiming asylum is and it should be done if you are in genuine danger or fear of danger. Take care man.
Thank you. I suggested to talk to his lawyer as well about the consequences.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Hello everyone,

My friend submitted refugee claim via the portal few months ago with a help of a lawyer. He Still didn’t get a date for interview. Now fearing for his rest of the family back home, he wants to leave Canada. His passport is still with him as non of his documents are seized yet. Anyone knows the procedure that he needs to take? Please advise. Thank you.
They can just book a flight and leave. IRCC would just consider the claim abandoned if he leaves.

Reactions: Juser

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone,

Arrange to get passport from CBSA and you should be able to be able to leave Canada easily.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
No one is keeping them captive here if they have there passport

They book a flight and leave

But claiming asylum and leaving is going to follow them for a very long time
Like long time

Last edited: