+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can PR of a citizen's wife get invalid

Svet123

Sep 25, 2019
My fiance is a Canadian citizen working in US. After our wedding I will be accompanying him in US.
I understand that he can sponsor me to get Canadian PR even if we are not living in Canada but if I don't live in Canada for 700 days as required, will my PR get invalid even if my husband is a citizen?
Also, can we re apply for canadian PR after it gets invalid once?

Last edited:

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
If you are accompanying your to be husband in the US then you do not need to continue to meet the residency obligation given that comes under the accompanying a citizen abroad rule. That time will not though count towards citizenship.

For the PR residency obligation important to keep good records of citizens reasons for being out of the country accompanied by spouse and travel records given may need this whenever questioned about residency by CBSA at any boarder or applying for PRTD or if in country applying to renew a PR card.

By way residency obligation is 730 days in a 5 year window not 700.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1466&top=10

Maybe look into spouse sponsorship more closely given whilst is true a citizen can sponsor from outside Canada it is still generally implied that the sponsor and sponsored are expected to show some intention to reside in Canada at some point, at least in the application anyway.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
in order for you to get PR your husband will have to show that he intends to move back to Canada. It is quite difficult to prove. You’ll need things like resignation letter from current job, new job search, having housing in Canada, etc.

If you do get PR but do no t have plans to move to Canada you may run into problems counting time with your husband in the US if you never lived in Canada beforehand. If you and your husband do not plan on moving to Canada you should just wait and apply at a later point.

Reactions: YVR123