+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can my spouse visit me in Canada after sponsorship application sent?

Mar 23, 2014
Hi Everyone,

I just got my PR status 2 months ago and already sent sponsorship application on May 5.
My spouse now is outside Canada without a TRV or any permit. What can she apply to visit me in Canada? (we are from non-exempt TRY countries)

Thanks in advance!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

A TRV is the only option for her to visit you, unless she can independently qualify for a study or work permit.

Unfortunately, with a spouse in Canada and a PR app in process, there is little chance of her being approved for a TRV. She can certainly apply, there are rare cases that are approved, but the chances are low. To be approved for a TRV, an applicant must show stronger ties to their home country. CIC generally always considers the spouse in Canada to be stronger than any ties in the applicant's home country.

Mar 23, 2014
canuck_in_uk said:
Hi

A TRV is the only option for her to visit you, unless she can independently qualify for a study or work permit.

Unfortunately, with a spouse in Canada and a PR app in process, there is little chance of her being approved for a TRV. She can certainly apply, there are rare cases that are approved, but the chances are low. To be approved for a TRV, an applicant must show stronger ties to their home country. CIC generally always considers the spouse in Canada to be stronger than any ties in the applicant's home country.
Thank you very much! According to your answer, basically we will have to wait a long time to get together...

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Darknightrider said:
Thank you very much! According to your answer, basically we will have to wait a long time to get together...
Sorry to say, but yes, you have a wait ahead of you. She can definitely apply for a TRV; as I said, there is the odd case that gets approved. And if it is refused, that will have no effect on the PR app.

You can go visit her as well. Because PRs are required to be residing in Canada throughout the sponsorship app, it's generally not recommended to go visit for longer than a few weeks and not to go more than a few times a year.

Mar 23, 2014
canuck_in_uk said:
Sorry to say, but yes, you have a wait ahead of you. She can definitely apply for a TRV; as I said, there is the odd case that gets approved. And if it is refused, that will have no effect on the PR app.

You can go visit her as well. Because PRs are required to be residing in Canada throughout the sponsorship app, it's generally not recommended to go visit for longer than a few weeks and not to go more than a few times a year.
Thanks again! I am planning to visit several times before she can come. Appreciated for your excellent advice!