+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can my spouse stay with me in Canada while I'm on work permit?

galaxys0

Aug 15, 2018
I'm in Canada and got offered a long haul truck driving job from an employer in BC. Since the skill level is C, my spouse does not qualify for an open work permit.

So my question is, since she's here on a 6 months ETA, can she apply for a visitor visa that is as long as my work permit duration, and stay with me in Canada?

And lastly, my daughter is 18 and would be enrolled in year 11.
Minor age in BC is until 19, so If I have a work permit, she'd be able to study without a study permit until then. But what happens once she turns 19? Will she have to apply for a study permit and pay school fees as an international student?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your spouse does not qualify for any special permit since your job is noc c. She will have to keep extending her visitor status every few months. Yes - to attend university or college your daughter will need to obtain a study permit and pay international fees.

galaxys0

Aug 15, 2018
Your spouse does not qualify for any special permit since your job is noc c. She will have to keep extending her visitor status every few months. Yes - to attend university or college your daughter will need to obtain a study permit and pay international fees.
Thanks.

To be more specific, since my daughter is currently 18 she wouldn't need a study permit because she is a minor in BC. But next year she'd turn 19 and would need one. Could she apply from inside Canada or would it be better off applying from outside Canada?

And what happens if her academic year is not yet over when she turns 19? Shouldn't she theoretically be able to finish it because she could study 6 months as a visitor?