+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can my parents get insurance after been in ER

Nick~Nick

Dec 20, 2013
Hi,
My parents are currently in Canada, and few days ago my father pass out for few mins in night. This was the first time ever and he is 59yrs old. We took him to ER and after ER he stayed 2 days in hospital. He is on super visa and right now claim is under process. This current insurance is getting expiry in Oct 2024, as per current insurance he is not going to be eligible for extension on insurance or can't get insurance with same company.
So do we have to apply for new insurance ? Can he get insurance at all now once the claim is made ? Do you guys know which insurance company provide insurance after someone make claim. Can he get insurance while staying in Canada, let say we apply before current one is expiry in Oct ?

Please answer and suggestions...

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
My parents are currently in Canada, and few days ago my father pass out for few mins in night. This was the first time ever and he is 59yrs old. We took him to ER and after ER he stayed 2 days in hospital. He is on super visa and right now claim is under process. This current insurance is getting expiry in Oct 2024, as per current insurance he is not going to be eligible for extension on insurance or can't get insurance with same company.
So do we have to apply for new insurance ? Can he get insurance at all now once the claim is made ? Do you guys know which insurance company provide insurance after someone make claim. Can he get insurance while staying in Canada, let say we apply before current one is expiry in Oct ?

Without insurance, are you ready to pay expenses out of your pockets?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

Talk to an insurance agent who is familiar with different companies and policies. This is a more complex situation and you'll of course need to declare your father's health history and the previous claim. You should assume that whatever condition caused the hospitalization will not be covered under the new insurance policy, unless you manage to find a policy that has limited coverage for pre-existing conditions.

Nick~Nick

Dec 20, 2013
Talk to an insurance agent who is familiar with different companies and policies. This is a more complex situation and you'll of course need to declare your father's health history and the previous claim. You should assume that whatever condition caused the hospitalization will not be covered under the new insurance policy, unless you manage to find a policy that has limited coverage for pre-existing conditions.
I see, so normally they don't cover conditions caused the hospitalization in last trip. Any time limit, I mean maybe after 1-2 yrs he do next trip or maybe he do medical exam and then apply.

I hope no one have to go through this but if anyone here had past experience like this place share some details

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I see, so normally they don't cover conditions caused the hospitalization in last trip. Any time limit, I mean maybe after 1-2 yrs he do next trip or maybe he do medical exam and then apply.

I hope no one have to go through this but if anyone here had past experience like this place share some details
Yes, normally pre-exisitng conditions are not covered. Or if they are covered, the insurance premiums are high and there are limits to what is covered. This is why I'm recommending you work with an insurance agent. Good luck.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Really depends on the cost of his care and reason for admission. Just fainting doesn’t typically get you admitted although I guess I have never gone to the ER when I have passed out multiple times before. Like any insurance policy once you make a claim your rates tend to go up. It was only 2 days will likely be able to get coverage in the future but would at least be prepared for a higher rate. Would also read exclusion clauses for preexisting conditions very carefully.