+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can my depended child and spouse stay with me in Canada while on Work Permit?

galaxys0

Aug 15, 2018
I know that if you get a work permit with a skilled position, the spouse can apply for an open work permit. But what about any dependend childrens that are over the age of 18 but under the age of 21?

And again, I know that if the job offer is a low skilled position, the spouse cannot apply for an open work permit. But in the Temporary Foreign Workers manual and on CIC website, it still says that the application for work permit can be processed as a unit, but that the spouse would not get an open work permit and the children would neet to pay International Student fees.

So how does that work in both cases? Does the spouse simply stay in Canada on a visitor visa for as long as the work permit holder? And is a 19 years old kid included in the application? But has to pay for International Student fees?

Please help me clear this out.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I know that if you get a work permit with a skilled position, the spouse can apply for an open work permit. But what about any dependend childrens that are over the age of 18 but under the age of 21?

And again, I know that if the job offer is a low skilled position, the spouse cannot apply for an open work permit. But in the Temporary Foreign Workers manual and on CIC website, it still says that the application for work permit can be processed as a unit, but that the spouse would not get an open work permit and the children would neet to pay International Student fees.

So how does that work in both cases? Does the spouse simply stay in Canada on a visitor visa for as long as the work permit holder? And is a 19 years old kid included in the application? But has to pay for International Student fees?

Please help me clear this out.
The spouse needs to keep applying to extend their visitor status in Canada in order to remain in Canada. Typically this means they will need to apply to extend their visitor status every six months. Approval is not guaranteed and keep in mind that the spouse will not qualify for health care coverage while in Canada. The kid will need to apply for a study permit in order to study in Canada.

EDIT: The above is for situations where the spouse has a job in Canada that is not A, B or 0 skill level.

Last edited: