+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can my common-law partner apply for an Open Work Permit on the one year pilot?

zwicker89

Nov 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-10-2015
AOR Received.
26-10-2015
Hi there,

My partner and I have just submitted the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class (SCLPC) application for me to sponsor him to come to Canada. We do not currently reside in Canada.

Would it be possible for him to apply for a open work permit on the pilot scheme whilst we are waiting for the decision on our visa application to be made? The pilot page can be googling 'One Year Pilot – Issuance of open work permits to applicants for permanent residence under the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class' and clicking on the second link.

We are confused as, when you click on the links on the above page, it mentions that you must already be in Canada.

Could somebody please shed some light on this situation?

Kind regards,

Alex and Ben

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

You did not submit a "Spouse or common-law partner in Canada class" app. You submitted an outland app and therefore do not qualify for the OWP pilot program.

can_in_phils

Nov 24, 2015
We are in a similar situation - I am a canadian citizen living and working in the Philippines. I have been offered a job back in Canada and would like to take it. We are just starting to look at the options for how to get my common law spouse to join me.
We are reading up on the spousal sponsorship process, but also came across the open work permit program.

We were wondering if the open work permit is applicable for him as spouse of a Canadian citizen, so he can legal work in Canada while I am there. And then some time in the future we start the spousal sponsorship application from inland?

Just exploring this option as we are rather pressed for time before I would leave the Philippines to take up the new job and there is a lot to get sorted before we can file a sponsorship application.

any insight would be helpful. Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - the spousal open work permit program is not open to him as a spouse of a Canadian citizen. This program is reserved for spouses of foreign workers. You don't qualify.

To qualify for an open work permit, both of you would have to return to Canada together and file an inland sponsorship application once inside of Canada (including an open work permit application). That open work permit will be approved approximately four months after your application is received.