+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can my a couple be my references for my passport application?

twranks

Star Member
Mar 24, 2017
So, just to specify, a husband an wife that aren't related to me. Can both act as my references (not guarantor) for my passport application? They are both PR card holders.

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016

funloving

Jun 19, 2010
Category........
PNP
Passport Req..
08-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2013
LANDED..........
06-03-2014
Hi Naturgrl

I’m going to have my citizenship cert posted out to me in the UK, just wanted to check if you knew, can the guarantor and two references be local British people I know or have to be Canadian citizens?

Thanks
Dal
The guarantor need to be. But in you case i.e.outside Canada, you can give any professional i.e.doctor, lawyer etc to be your guarantor without they being Canadian citizens.

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
The guarantor need to be. But in you case i.e.outside Canada, you can give any professional i.e.doctor, lawyer etc to be your guarantor without they being Canadian citizens.
Thanks, so in theory ALL 3 could be UK citizens with yes one of them being from a professional background etc?

Reactions: funloving

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
This is new info. I thought the guarantor must be Canadian in all cases.

funloving

Jun 19, 2010
Category........
PNP
Passport Req..
08-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2013
LANDED..........
06-03-2014
Thanks, so in theory ALL 3 could be UK citizens with yes one of them being from a professional background etc?
See this:

Guarantor requirements for a regular (blue) passport submitted outside Canada
Your guarantor can be anyone who meets the basic guarantor requirements for a regular (blue) passport in Canada, including a family member or member of your household.

Occupation-based guarantors
You may also use an occupation-based guarantor for an application submitted outside Canada, as long as that person is

• registered/licensed with the appropriate local authority to practice their profession
  • currently working in that field
  • practicing one of these professions:
    • judge
    • dentist
    • pharmacist
    • veterinarian
    • police officer
    • notary public
    • lawyer/notary
    • medical doctor
    • dean/head of university or college
    • signing officer of a
      • bank or trust company
      • financial institution that offer a full range of banking services (cash withdrawals, deposits and savings)
If your occupation-based guarantor is retired
You can use them if their professional association still has your guarantor’s name on their list.

Find out what to do if you can’t find a guarantor.