+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I work remotely for a UK company while on a work permit?

heaviside1850

Mar 21, 2024
I am planning to move to Canada in August and will get an employer sponsored work permit using an LMIA they are providing me. However, I won't actually begin working until January next year. In the mean time, I'd like to continue working for my UK company remotely. I know I can work remotely on a visitor visa for up to 6 months, but is this affected if my status is actually as an employer specific work permit?
Thanks

megnani

Jul 1, 2024
Working remotely for a UK company while on a work permit can depend on the type of work permit you have and the specific conditions attached to it. Generally, UK work permits (also known as work visas) are granted for specific jobs with specific employers, and there may be conditions regarding the location of your work. Here are some common scenarios:

1. **Skilled Worker Visa**: If you have a Skilled Worker Visa, you are usually required to work for the employer that sponsored your visa. While remote work is often possible, it typically needs to be within the UK, unless your employer has explicitly stated otherwise and it does not violate the terms of your visa.

2. **Global Talent Visa**: This visa offers more flexibility, including the ability to work remotely, as it is not tied to a specific job or employer. However, you should still ensure that any remote work complies with visa conditions and does not jeopardize your immigration status.

3. **Intra-company Transfer Visa**: This visa is for employees of multinational companies who are transferred to a UK branch. Remote work for the UK company might be permitted, but this would generally need to be within the UK unless specifically stated otherwise in your visa conditions.

4. **Other Visas**: For other types of work permits or visas, the rules can vary, and it is important to check the specific conditions of your visa.

It is advisable to consult with an immigration lawyer or your employer's HR department to understand the specific conditions of your work permit and whether remote work, especially from outside the UK, is allowed.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Working remotely for a UK company while on a work permit can depend on the type of work permit you have and the specific conditions attached to it. Generally, UK work permits (also known as work visas) are granted for specific jobs with specific employers, and there may be conditions regarding the location of your work. Here are some common scenarios:

1. **Skilled Worker Visa**: If you have a Skilled Worker Visa, you are usually required to work for the employer that sponsored your visa. While remote work is often possible, it typically needs to be within the UK, unless your employer has explicitly stated otherwise and it does not violate the terms of your visa.

2. **Global Talent Visa**: This visa offers more flexibility, including the ability to work remotely, as it is not tied to a specific job or employer. However, you should still ensure that any remote work complies with visa conditions and does not jeopardize your immigration status.

3. **Intra-company Transfer Visa**: This visa is for employees of multinational companies who are transferred to a UK branch. Remote work for the UK company might be permitted, but this would generally need to be within the UK unless specifically stated otherwise in your visa conditions.

4. **Other Visas**: For other types of work permits or visas, the rules can vary, and it is important to check the specific conditions of your visa.

It is advisable to consult with an immigration lawyer or your employer's HR department to understand the specific conditions of your work permit and whether remote work, especially from outside the UK, is allowed.
Chat bot spam.